986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxster as Florida Car (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2681)

todd1ada 05-12-2005 05:54 PM

Boxster as Florida Car

In the market for a '03 or '04 Boxster S, which I plan on acquiring sometime this summer or fall when I find the right color combo/mileage/price.

I plan to keep this car in Miami over the colder months (something like Oct- April), and then bring it back to New England for the summer. (We have vacation place in Miami and usually make it down over school vacations and various weekends, so the car would get some, but not tons of use. In the summer, it would be a third car to use on weekends and to drive to work on nice days.)

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to make this happen-- One piece of the puzzle I have not gotten my arms around is shipping.

Can anyone recommend a reliable tranport company who carefully ships porsches (or similar vehicles)? Any sense on the cost from New England to South Florida?

Relatedly, does anyone do something similar with their 986, and if so, can you offer any tips. For example, do I need a special battery when the car sits for a month or so unused? Is there a car cover that is recommend? Fluid levels? Should I arrange for the valet in my building in Miami to start the car daily, weekly etc?

I rwould eally appreciate any words of wisdom.

Brucelee 05-12-2005 06:15 PM

Dependable Auto Shippers are pretty good. Call them for estimate, just Google for number.

Battery tender when car is not in use. About $65 at Pepp boys.

Porsche outdoor car cover if outside storage. Inside, they have a much lighter dust cover.

Use Mobil One 0W40 oil all year around. Change oil once a year if mileage is low.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuffaloBoxster 05-13-2005 04:59 AM

Drive it down... Can't think of a better way to spend two days. And if your car is going to be sitting for the better part of half a year then mileage shouldn't be a worry.

RandallNeighbour 05-13-2005 06:31 AM

I live in Houston and bought mine from a guy in Miami. Drove it home and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just don't try to drive 2000 miles in two days like I did. It was stupid and exhausting. It sure did prove that my 1997 box is road worthy though!

If you buy a car remotely (and you may need to so you get what you want), it makes good sense to hire a reputable OUTSIDE company to pick up the car and do a laser four wheel alignment on it and inspect it to tell you if it's been wrecked. It will cost you $100 to do an alignment a car you have yet to buy, but it sure does tell you a lot about that car's history that would never show up on a carfax report!

Don't let this scare you off... I'm thrilled with my purchase and you will be too if you do your homework and buy from a reputable dealer. The owners of this forum are good folks to work with from all I can gather from a distance. You might ask "BruceLee" to start looking for the car you want and let you know what he finds.

Brucelee 05-13-2005 06:46 AM

"Don't let this scare you off... I'm thrilled with my purchase and you will be too if you do your homework and buy from a reputable dealer. The owners of this forum are good folks to work with from all I can gather from a distance. You might ask "BruceLee" to start looking for the car you want and let you know what he finds."

Thank you for the kinds words.

:dance:

Perfectlap 05-13-2005 07:16 AM

Sold my Miata to a guy in Boca Raton. I offered to arrange shipping through DAS as BruceLee suggested. From NewJersey to Orlando was about $750 back in Novermber 2004. They get most of their busines from Ebay. The buyer ended up taking a Continental flight for $150 and drove it down. Probably saved him $300 and took 18 hours. Actually, he stepped off the plane, I picked him up at the airport and he drove it right back to Florida all within an hour.
I think Amtrak has an autotrain service I was thinking about looking into so I can bring the Boxster to my friend's place in Miami Beach(free parking).
[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...278357_111.jpg [/IMG]

Brucelee 05-13-2005 07:49 AM

Whatever method one uses, the preferred way is in a CLOSED carrier. A lot can happen to your finish if the mode is open.

Good luck!

YellowJacket 05-13-2005 09:03 AM

The Porsche mentality cracks me up. I had a list of BMWs before this car, and we drove our cars every day. I have adjusted to the concept of occasional use, but come on! I can't believe your scenario and your question. I'm going to ask a similar question, and we'll see if you can deduce my answer from it:

Guys -- what should I do? I got to work today, and realized that my Boxster is in the office parking lot. I think this weekend, I'm going to go home, which is about 5 miles away. I can arrange a ride with a friend or just walk, but how do I get my car there????? Should I pay someone to drive it, have it shipped, or what? I just can't figure out how to make my car stop being in my office parking lot and start being in my driveway. HELP!

BuffaloBoxster 05-13-2005 09:28 AM

To be fair, that's not really the same as New England to Florida...

Pilot2519j 05-13-2005 10:17 AM

Use it and abuse it

[QUOTE=YellowJacket]The Porsche mentality cracks me up. I had a list of BMWs before this car, and we drove our cars every day. I have adjusted to the concept of occasional use, but come on! I can't believe your scenario and your question. I'm going to ask a similar question, and we'll see if you can deduce my answer from it:

The answer is number 3.
Drive it everyday! No garage queen in my house. Im so lucky that I drive 10 miles to work against traffic and at times I'm able to hit 85 to 90 and now with the nice weather the top comes down. What a way to start the day! Why on Earth buy a car and not use it. That concept is so incongrous to me that I don't even consider it. I don't see King Tut driving his Fezxter -3986 on the LIE. We only go around once so might as well enjoy everything as much as possible.

Brucelee 05-13-2005 10:42 AM

People use their cars however they use their cars. No right and wrong about it, just the way it is.

:cheers:

Brucelee 05-13-2005 10:43 AM

BTW- I made the drive from Boston To Fla in a 300ZX once. It was no picnic of driving I can tell you.

Likely I would not do it again.

todd1ada 05-13-2005 09:56 PM

Thanks to Bruce Lee and Randall for their very helpful comments.

Yellow Jacket's inelegant analogy obviously misses the mark...Dude, I have a vacation house in warm weather and this is a third car.

BMW x-5 is my daily drive due to weather, kids and because I drive 20K+ per year...not what a 986 is for in my opinion. I got 15 years on you bro and when you get a little older you will understand.

For those who suggested driving-- thanks for the thought, but I can't really justify to wife and kids that I am travelling down separately by car over a period of days. Aslo, it is far more cost effecitve to pay a carrier $1000 or so, than miss a couple of days of work.

Bruce, can I give you some info via back channel as was suggested?

Brucelee 05-14-2005 06:04 AM

"Bruce, can I give you some info via back channel as was suggested?"

Sure, PM me if you would like!