986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flashing Temp Light (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26800)

texomawaves 11-08-2010 02:39 PM

Flashing Temp Light

1 Attachment(s)
This makes me nervous. Where do I start?

extanker 11-08-2010 02:42 PM

after it cools check the water level

vipola 11-08-2010 02:52 PM

a Flashing Temp Light indicate coolant level is too low.. I suggest fixing this before using the car :)

JTP 11-08-2010 02:54 PM

This just happened to me yesterday as well. Gauge read 180 but the light flashed. Pulled over, shut it down, and quickly searched 986forum for 'flashing temp light' on the iPhone. Found that it is most likely a low coolant level or faulty temp sensor. My level was ok but I had just picked it up from the collision shop and they replaced the center radiator so I attributed it to a possible air bubble in the system. I pulled up the bleed valve and drove home 380 miles keeping a close eye on temps and the light never came on again so I ruled out a faulty sensor. After I got home, closed the valve. No issues today and coolant level is within limits.

schnellman 11-08-2010 03:10 PM

Touchy

One thing to keep in mind as we reach cooler fall temperatures is that even though the level has been okay all summer, if you go to start the car after a day or two of freezing temperatures, the light may flash. It only means the coolant is low.
But, keep in mind this is very, very sensitive. When mine flashed last week I added about four tablespoons of coolant to the overflow tank and it's now perfectly happy.
The other thing to note is that if it flashes when you start up, it will not stop until the next time you start the car. So, if it flashes, run the car until the temperature needle moves a little bit. Pull over, turn off the car and start it up again. Voila, no more flashing light. Add a bit of coolant when you get home.

texomawaves 11-09-2010 09:58 AM

Thanks guys! It was a little low. I added about 8 ounces of Ozarka water to make it just a hair above the MIN level. Should I be worried where the original 8 ounces went?

vipola 11-09-2010 10:07 AM

Bahh.. you could hypotetically guess so many thing.. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure you don't loose another 8 ounces in the next few weeks.. ;)

Loverovinj 03-21-2011 01:54 PM

Thanks all

Mine just did the same thing on the way home, found the post and am now off and running. Thanks all

chris97boxster 03-21-2011 06:49 PM

Make sure u have the latest rad cap too
should end in -04

Chris