986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   valvoline warranty (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26795)

lahalte 11-08-2010 03:22 AM

valvoline warranty

After looking into Valvoline's 300,000 mile warranty I have this nagging thought that the IMS issue might be warrantied under Valvoline,You just have to change oil every 4,000 miles with their Syntec oil and it covers all parts that are are oiled.Am I dreaming or is there something there?Maybe just hoping.

tonycarreon 11-08-2010 03:29 AM

i highly doubt it, since the IMS is not intended to be lubricated by the engine oil...

additionally, the timing chain is specifically excluded and it covers parts that are "oil wetted." you also have to use the same viscosity as recommended and they exclude any failure that's a result of manufacturing defect - which they could conceivably argue is the case with an IMS failure.

plus AX or DE it and your out.

there are too many ways for them to get out that it would seem pointless to me.

JoeFromPA 11-08-2010 04:23 AM

Look into Valvoline's finances and see how much money they have set aside for warranty claims.

Read the fine print on their warranty.

It's useless and meaningless, and frankly I'm offended they offer it. Although it does generate alot of chatter....

Bruce Wayne 11-08-2010 04:42 AM

^^ agree on the above

also:

12.THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER CLAIMS THAT ARE THE RESULT OF: COLLISION OR OTHER ACCIDENT; THEFT; VANDALISM; RIOT; EXPLOSION; EARTHQUAKE; LIGHTNING; FREEZING; OVERHEATING; INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL FIRE; WATER OR FLOOD DAMAGE (INCLUDING PRIOR FLOOD DAMAGE); NEGLIGENT, RECKLESS, KNOWING OR INTENTIONAL DAMAGE; TIMING BELT FAILURE; IMPROPER SERVICE OR MAINTENANCE; DEFECT ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER; IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF ANY PART; FLUID CONTAMINATION (I.E., COOLANT, FUEL, WATER OR FOREIGN MATERIAL); OR THE FAILURE TO KEEP THE MOTOR OIL AND ENGINE COOLANT AT LEVELS PRESCRIBED BY THE MANUFACTURER. Valvoline may refuse payment of any claims that otherwise comply with the terms of this Limited Warranty where Valvoline believes in good faith that one or more of these causes contributed to the damage claimed.

*bold for emphasis*

if you did get a payout on an IMS issue.. get a lottery ticket too :D

Lil bastard 11-08-2010 12:42 PM

"...Valvoline may refuse payment of any claims that otherwise comply with the terms of this Limited Warranty where Valvoline believes in good faith that one or more of these causes contributed to the damage claimed."

Bolded and Italicized for even greater emphasis.

Nice try, but there's no way buying $60 worth of oil is gonna warrant this part, especially when the entire Porsche World is abuzz about it.

Cheers!