986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Truck Load of failures.... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26753)

Jake Raby 11-03-2010 01:08 PM

Truck Load of failures....

3 Attachment(s)
All three of these M96 powered vehicles showed up on a single truck today at the Flat 6 facility for our specialized internal procedures... All three of these feature failed engines, all three with intermix and bad water pumps have already proven to have killed at least two of them.

These cars came from Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.. Amazing.. three cars on one truck, all headed to the same small town in the North Georgia Mountains :-)

The Boxster pictured here belongs to a 986forum member, I'll be posting his updates here like I did with Pat's job a couple of weeks ago.

MikenOH 11-03-2010 01:17 PM

A sobering picture.
What year 911s and mileage if you have them?

Jake Raby 11-03-2010 01:29 PM

Yet again, mileage has ZERO impact on the occurrences and damage caused by the failed water pump..

One of the 996s has 47K miles, its a 2000

The other 996 is a 99 with 50,648 miles

The Boxster is an 01S with 57,810 miles

Banana S 11-03-2010 02:26 PM

Oops! I saw the title of this thread and came in here expecting photographs of incumbent Democrat congressmen. My mistake! :dance:

Jaxonalden 11-03-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana S
Oops! I saw the title of this thread and came in here expecting photographs of incumbent Democrat congressmen. My mistake! :dance:

Nancy would have been driving the truck. :D

Jake Raby 11-03-2010 06:10 PM

Nope, she would have been sitting on the gearshift knob!

If she was driving the truck would have been lost somewhere in the mountains and the cars still wouldn't be here!!

jmatta 11-04-2010 06:34 AM

Quite a sight...I assume the plastic impeller on the pumps was another cost saving measure? I'm going to change mine when I do the oil; just renewed my coolant, so I suppose I'll lose quite a bit when I R&R the pump, but that's pretty negligible compared to the damage a broken pump can inflict...hadn't even considered it, until I read your posts about cylinder head damage.

BTW, Nancy would have had her car airlifted on her private USAF jet paid for by the US taxpayers, 'cause she's special.

Bladecutter 11-04-2010 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
Quite a sight...I assume the plastic impeller on the pumps was another cost saving measure?

Actually, I believe the plastic impellers on the pump was a design to prevent the impeller from being affected by the corrosive effects of long life coolant left in for a long time in the engine.

They didn't count on the plastic becoming brittle over time, and eventually just shattering, nor did they count on the constant troubles the pumps seem to have with the seals in the bearing leaking coolant into the bearing, which washes away the grease, that then leads to bearing failure, which then leads to the pump wobbling, which leads to a destroyed impeller, and then the whole shaft pulls out of the water pump body.

Don't ask me how I know this, because it just happened to my car a couple months ago. Went from working perfectly on a Holiday afternoon drive in the Colorado mountains, to the low coolant light flashing, to the pump impeller and bearings exploding, and the serpentine belt being ripped off of its track, and getting wound around the crankshaft pulley.

Hey!
Why does this mode of failure sound eerily familiar?
Where have I heard of this description before...

BC.

jcb986 11-04-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Nope, she would have been sitting on the gearshift knob!

If she was driving the truck would have been lost somewhere in the mountains and the cars still wouldn't be here!!

You are all wrong....the ******************** would use the Military to delivery them. Let the tax payers foot the bill... :cheers:

mikefocke 11-05-2010 05:52 AM

We should

keep the political opinions to the appropriate forum and this isn't it.

When thinking of this, recall that the Speaker of the House, no matter the party, is 2nd in line as a successor to the President and so there are security issues in his or her transportation. As one who has seen first hand and up close the carnage after an assassination attempt on the president ... I don't begrudge that.

Stroked & Blown 11-05-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke

When thinking of this, recall that the Speaker of the House, no matter the party, is 2nd in line as a successor to the President and so there are security issues in his or her transportation. As one who has seen first hand and up close the carnage after an assassination attempt on the president ... I don't begrudge that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Jaxonalden 11-05-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

-You sir should practise what you preach-

Quote; When thinking of this, recall that the Speaker of the House, no matter the party, is 2nd in line as a successor to the President and so there are security issues in his or her transportation. As one who has seen first hand and up close the carnage after an assassination attempt on the president ... I don't begrudge that.

Are you nuts? She utilized a C-32 (757) to fly back and fourth to California at a minimum of once a week for four years because she didn't want to fly on a C-20 (Gulfstream III) because she would have to stop for gas. That ******************** has cost the American tax payer millions of dollars in operating cost, personnel and tying up USAF assets. The part about being third in line to the Presidency...the Secret Service has standing orders to shoot Nancy if anything happens to the first two.

Stroked & Blown, great come back!!

clickman 11-05-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

We should keep the political opinions to the appropriate forum and this isn't it.

+1. I don't come to this forum to read political opinions. I come here to read about how Jake is dealing with all of our blown up engines! :cheers:

Jake Raby 11-07-2010 05:29 PM

I could care less about Pelosi. I don't have time to worry about things I can't control..She doesn't represent my state (she'd NEVER get elected here!) and she has been de-throned anyway.

Well, ALL THREE of the cars that came in on that truck are certifiably DEAD.. Both of the 996s had intermix. The Boxster also had what appears to be a cracked cylinder, it failed all our tests on cylinder #3.

Perfectlap 11-08-2010 06:25 AM

Are you at liberty to say how many 986/996 failures (ball park) you've seen come to your shop and how many years that comprises?

litteng 11-08-2010 09:59 AM

certifably dead...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby

Well, ALL THREE of the cars that came in on that truck are certifiably DEAD.. Both of the 996s had intermix. The Boxster also had what appears to be a cracked cylinder, it failed all our tests on cylinder #3.

i take that to mean that total rebuild /replacement is required?

Jake Raby 11-08-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Are you at liberty to say how many 986/996 failures (ball park) you've seen come to your shop and how many years that comprises?

We've been working with the engines for about 8 years... I have no idea how many failed engines we've seen, undoubtedly more than anyone in the US, as thats what we specialize in. I have some sort of documentation on most every one, so I certainly could add up a number if I wanted to.

Yes, all 3 of the vehicles that came in on that truck are in need of an upgraded engine or my CPO engine.