Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #1

Stereo Options

Hi All!
I've searched and searched previous threads for some information regarding switching out the original stereo in my 2000 Boxster with an aftermarket, but really feel like I'm getting nowhere.
Currently I have the center console laid out with the temperature controls up top, the single disc CD player/radio combo, the CD holders and then a cubby. I want to put in something larger with possibly a nav option or at the least ipod connectivity and XM. My goal, however, is I want it to look clean.
Can you put in a newer Boxster model combo with those options in a 2000? I'm so confused on all my options and how to go about it.

If you have a different stereo in your boxster than the original, could you post pictures and your feedback on what you like and how it worked? I've seen some pictures where the air control section was moved down to where I have my empty cubby. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kimberly

kimberly001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

It's all about money and what you feel you are ready to spend.

It took me two steps to get to where I wanted to be because I couldn't talk myself in to the cost the first time around. I love the car and now love the stereo and am not interested in others mods so it works for me.

I had a stock amp and cd changer in the frunk, 6 cd holder and stock radio in hte car when I bought it a few years ago.
I changed out the door speakers and had the door cavities filled with insulation. I also put in a single din deck and Alpine amp and got rid of the cd changer. Left the dash speakers as is but turned the volume down.
The sound was great and could play and charge up my iphone.

About a year and a bit later I decided to bite the bullet because I wasn't happy with the deck. I love the current set up that I have.
Double din Pioneer Avic920 deck with navigation and bluetooth. It's great. I listen to Pandora off of my iphone. I am really enjoying it.

The majority of the work was done by a high end car shop that did a great job. For the double din deck I had a local Best Buy type shop do it because it wasn't that tough. I bought a trim kit made specifically Porsche over the internet and had them use that and also run the ipod cable up through the glove box.
Attached Images

2000 Boxster S
Ocean Blue, Black Interior, Black Top
60,000 miles
alvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #3

That's exactly what I'm looking for. When you put the system in, who moved the controls that were located up top (that are now pictured in the bottom opening).
What is the brand you put in?
I'm looking to have all the bells and whistles if i upgrade to include the nav, bluetooth, XM, ipod, possibly DVD capabilities. I honestly hadn't thought about the speakers!
The Bestbuy people I spoke to said it was a single DIN. What does it involve to make it double? What types of places did you look at to do the install of all the components and about what price range did it all finally end up in?

For all the searching I did, that was exactly what I needed
Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Here's a link to a DIY tutorial on Renntech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/tutorials/article/109-porsche-boxster-avic-d3-installation-instructions/

You will need to be a contributing member to read it, but it will be a worthwhile investment.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

I moved my heat/ac controls from the bottom position to the top. You want to do the reverse. Search cupholderectomy on this forum and Renntech