986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The million dollar question... get a boxster or a sportbike?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2638)

wombat7 05-05-2005 04:32 PM

The million dollar question... get a boxster or a sportbike??

So here is my million dollar question for you all. I am going to be graduating from college soon and want to reward myself with a new vehicle. Right now my choices are get either a boxster or a sportbike.

The sportbike is the better choice economically because I can get a very nice bike for around 4-5K where a boxster is more expensive. Insurance on the bike will also be cheaper. The riding season doesn't really come into play because I am most likely going to be stationed in FL. Rigt now... the boxster is more practical and taht is really the only thing that i can see...

If you were in my situation which would you do??

tqtran 05-05-2005 06:18 PM

one question: Can you ride the bike in the rain? exactly.... :cheers:

andicati 05-05-2005 06:33 PM

I lived in Miami for 5 years. From what I remember, the riding season for bikes was just as short as up north unless you don't mind riding in the sudden "unexpected" torrential downpours. Riding a bike in a summer Florida rainstorm is one of the most dangerous things you can put yourself through simply because of all the idiot car drivers that hardly back off when the roads turn into rivers.

As a manic biker, I would strongly urge you to buy a car and save up to buy a bike later on. Besides, the stats are just against you, per mil edriven, you are far more likely to dies riding a bike than in a car. This of coure makes a big difference when you are dependent on your bike for transport, you simply start racking up the miles and putting yourself more and more at risk. Get a car.

Jeph 05-05-2005 07:00 PM

Huh?

You've come to a BOXSTER forum asking whether you should get a Boxster or a Sportbike?

What'd the people in the Sportbike forum say?

Perfectlap 05-05-2005 07:01 PM

$5K and $25K-35K is a big difference.
Boxster will change your life. And if you are a single guy get ready...

wombat7 05-05-2005 07:22 PM

I'm basically engaged... so girls are a big factor for me right now... I am going to be stationed in the panhandle at Eglin AFB so I dunno about the differences btw there and Miami, but I sure hope the weather is nicer cause I want to be on the beach playing volleyball...

Actually the sportbike people were split...

wetstuff 05-06-2005 04:10 AM

At your age - I'd get the bike. You need to get that 'twist-n-GO' done now because when you have two kids in two years; life changes for about 15yrs.

jim

CA_Boxster 05-06-2005 10:29 PM

If that's a hard decision to make, then don't get the Porsche. Too much $ unless it's something that you just can't resist. You can get a bike that's way too fast for anyone plus a good car for under $15k. Save the cash. Don't let us spend your money.

Or ... buy the bike and dump it for a Boxster later. A used bike doesn't lose much value after you buy it.

By the way, I lived in Houston where the humidity and rain are a lot like Florida. You won't like riding in that.

MLegere 05-07-2005 02:37 AM

I have had the sport bike been there done that. The pavement does nasty thing's to the body if you know what I mean. I'm 47 yr's young TRUST ME..... GET THE BOXSTER!!!!!

Mike

Brucelee 05-07-2005 06:12 AM

Several comments!

The SB insurance assumption. You should call your agent on that one as you may be wrong.

The Boxster is a much safer alternative for both you and your girlfriends!

The Box is much more usable for everyday situations.

You can get a Sportbike when you are a bit older and more likely to live to tell the tale.

Good luck either way.

chrisg 05-08-2005 06:21 PM

If you want something to drive on the street and have some fun in, get the Boxster.
If you really like bikes, want to do track days on a budget, and want to be totally amazed at the level of performance that a modern day sport bike is capable of, get the sport bike(and learn how to ride it properly !) After that, you won't want to ride the bike on the street as there is NO WAY you can push to the level it is capable of,(or the level of satistfaction you desire after doing some track days on one). So get a Boxster and a trailer to take the bike to the track. Nirvana.

Automon 05-09-2005 06:13 AM

I have both. I have a Hayabusa and a Boxster I like the Hayabusa better but both my wife and my girlfriend prefer the Boxster over the Hayabusa so it is a toss up. The women seem to want to jump on both. so I really can't help too bad that you can't get both

Brucelee 05-09-2005 06:58 AM

"but both my wife and my girlfriend "

This will get you killed faster that the Hayabusa!

Old Fart 05-09-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tqtran
one question: Can you ride the bike in the rain? exactly.... :cheers:

Better question - have you ever ridden a bike before? Sportbike is NOT a good "first bike" :)

Automon 05-09-2005 11:09 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"but both my wife and my girlfriend "

This will get you killed faster that the Hayabusa!

The problem is that they are both mad at me right now and it is not that easy to sleep in a Boxster. I think that the Hayabusa is safer than 2 women hands down, These toys can get you in trouble quickly and I don't mean the speed

cyclocross 05-09-2005 12:18 PM

sportbike or boxster

You better ask your fiance about this. If you get a bike without consulting her you'll never hear the end of it. Look fo a used Cayenne. She'll like the family aspects. Plus, it will get her used to the idea of a Porsche.

Automon 05-09-2005 12:23 PM

Are you sure that you want to get married? and drive the same car for the rest of your life.....How old are you?

wombat7 05-09-2005 04:44 PM

I'm 21 and I've talked to her about it. She is all for me getting a bike. I've also told her that my next car will probably be a 993 or a Box and she's fine with that too. She's awesome... paying for me to go to the F1 race in June, goes to races and stuff with me... helps me wrench on my car... i could go on and on...

Lux 05-09-2005 07:11 PM

I used to ride a CBR900RR. I sold it because I could never get comfortable sharing the road with the crazy drivers in the Bay Area. There were way too many times I've almost been run into from drivers spacing out. Add to the fact that a bike can cover a lot of distance in a short amount of time and you've got drivers that just can't anticipate your moves. You always have to ride "on the defensive". Like they say, it's not a matter of if you're going to crash but when and how bad. It happens to the best riders.

Also, riding a sportbike for any length of time takes a toll on you. The riding position puts a lot of stress on your arms/shoulders. If the pegs are high like on a gixxer it's even worse. It's a great toy but I'd never have a bike as my only mode of transportation.

What I did notice is that if you do 90mph in the Box with the top down it feels like 30mph on a bike. :D

-

Brucelee 05-10-2005 05:53 AM

Being in Indiana, I guess I don't see how you can ride a bike for your only ride. Rain and all.

Moreover, as pointed out above, a sportbike is a terrible choice for only transportation.

Ditto the comments on your joints, it is hell after an hour or so.

Be carefull out there!

:cheers: