986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Motion Sensor Question (Red clip doing its job?) (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637)

cnk 05-05-2005 03:39 PM

Motion Sensor Question (Red clip doing its job?)

I have a 2002 Boxster S. I bought the famous "red clip" so that the motion sensors would be activated even when my top is down. I thought I'd test it out to make sure it works.

I lowered the top and put on the red clip. Closed the doors and locked the car with the remote. I reached my arm into the car and waved it around. Nothing happened. I reached in and tried to open the door via the inside door handle and the alarm went off.

Does this mean that my motion sensor doesn't work? Or do I need to do something else in order for it to be activated with the top down (and red clip on)? Seems like as it is, the red clip isn't really very useful.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thanks,

cnk

Tool Pants 05-05-2005 04:46 PM

You might be reaching into the car too soon.

When you set the alarm with the button it does not go on immediately. If you stick you hand in too soon then the detector senses motion and will not turn on the motion detector, because it thinks you left a person or animal in the car.

Set the alarm. Wait a minute. Then reach in as if you were going for the middle storage box.

Onad 05-05-2005 05:17 PM

I just purchased the Red Clip and was equally unimpressed when I used it on my 03.

The first time I put my hand in the car and nothing happened. The second time I waved my hand the alarm did go off, but only after I waved my hand directly in front of the motion detector. On that occasion the alarm went off about a minute after I removed my hand.

I think I read somewhere that it basically prevents someone climbing over the door and sitting in the car.

At least it was under $5.

Onad 05-05-2005 05:19 PM

Sorry-- I posted before I saw ToolPants' response.

He's probably right. Thanks ToolPants.

Tool Pants 05-05-2005 07:05 PM

You have a point and I did not mention it because most new owners of the red clip think that as soon as they push the lock button on the remote the interior motion detector is on. But there is a delay and if you waive your hand during that delay then it will never turn on.

Some people put the red clip upside down, and that could be another reason for it not to work.

The motion detector is IR based. Years ago someone used night vision googles and took a picture of the beams. I wish I had saved the picture. As I remember the focus was to the middle interior.

The other thing to keep in mind that if you waive your hand inside after the detector is in fact set then there is a delay before the alarm horn will start beeping. It is not instantaneous. I have seen people waive their hand and if they do not immediately set off the alarm they push the alarm button and turn the system off. I have never timed this additional dealy. When I buy stuff from Safeway I reach over and put the bags on the passenger seat, then walk to the other side of the car fishing for the key in my pocket to turn off the alarm. If I am too slow then the alarm goes off before I can push the putton to unlock the car

RandallNeighbour 05-06-2005 09:23 AM

My mechanic gave me a red clip and I use it all the time. Here's why:

If someone tries to push the keyed button thingy for the center console, even if it's locked, the alarm sounds.

My motion sensors are all chewed up... a previous owner tried to pry them off and only one works now, the other's "eye" is missing—and it goes off quite well when I forget and try to retrieve my sunglasses from the cubby under the radio.

It won't prevent theft of your rollbar inserts or windscreen, so those go in the trunk when I leave the top down in a parking lot... but I sure do like the added noisemaking ability of that little red clip.

Porschekid 05-06-2005 10:12 AM

I didn't know about this red clip... should I just purchase one at my local Porsche dealership?

RandallNeighbour 05-06-2005 10:45 AM

I doubt they sell them. You can get them online though at a lot of Boxster botiques.

dennizxxx 05-06-2005 10:51 AM

suncoast has them listed for about $3.95..does that price sound right???

cnk 05-06-2005 10:54 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try again after waiting a bit to let the motion sensor activate itself.

As to buying the red clip, I just called my local Porsche dealer's parts department. They said that they didn't stock the part but could order it for me. They ordered it and I picked it up a week later. This might be a better deal than online since it seems silly to pay for shipping for something so cheap. It's probably best to dig up the part number before you call to make it easier for them to find it.

Porschekid 05-06-2005 11:25 AM

Anyone have a part# or link??

dennizxxx 05-06-2005 12:12 PM

red clip

i am still not sure about the price though..??$3.95??

RandallNeighbour 05-06-2005 12:59 PM

$3.95 is about right as far as price goes for this tiny piece of red plastic... dealer probably wants more.

The shipping and handling will cost more than this from an internet source.

Tool Pants 05-06-2005 03:05 PM

I should have gone in the clip business years ago.

I use to buy a bunch of them at a time to give to new local Boxster owners who showed up at our events. I was paying something like 50 cents per clip.

I thought Suncoast should be shot for asking $3.95, so I looked up the suggested retail price. It is $3.66 for that piece of plastic. I cannot believe Porsche jacked up the price that much.

Part number is 986 504 986 00. You can get it at any parts department.

Now for the trivia. If you order what option(s) what is the option that includes a red clip?

Lux 05-06-2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Now for the trivia. If you order what option(s) what is the option that includes a red clip?

Hardtop? I believe it's so you don't accidentally try to raise your fabric top. But I thought the hardtop latches onto the latch area? :confused:

-

Tool Pants 05-06-2005 05:48 PM

It does latch just as you said so there is no need for a clip with the hardtop option and the hardtop does not come with a clip.

It is 3 other options that come with the clip. I am not sure if 1 of the 3 is even an option anymore as it may have been discontinued.

Hint.

jfmillr 05-07-2005 03:56 PM

The Red Click is awesome! I have been using it for about 2 years and yes there is a small delay. Not sure about time, but probably a 30secs to 1 min after locking. I guess my sensor works better then most from what I can tell but as soon as I stick my hands in the car, even on the side door pockets area it starts going off like crazy.
Anyway Red Click Rocks!

Lux 05-07-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
It is 3 other options that come with the clip. I am not sure if 1 of the 3 is even an option anymore as it may have been discontinued.

Hint.

Arrggh. I even tried googling it but have no idea. Definitely can't phone a friend. And since there's no 50/50, I'll guess Speedster humps and RTS...and that's my final answer. :D

-

Tool Pants 05-07-2005 07:28 PM

Very good.

If you buy the humps or RTS you get a "free" red clip.

Also came with the tonneau cover, but I think Posche got rid of this oprion when the car was made and as a retrofit kit, years ago.

The clip was designed to keep the stupid owners from operating the top. But we use it for the interior motion detector.

Ronzi 05-07-2005 07:30 PM

Toolpants:
The little red clip came at no extra charge with the factory tonneau cover.
Which is a good thing, since you should get something useful for your $1295.00.
Ask me how I know.

Actually, I bought one off Ebay for about $150, but even at that it was no bargain.
I think I was overcome with nostalgia after having had any number of British roadsters where a tonneau was an indispensable accessory.

A convertible top that goes up or down in 12 seconds makes a tonneau superfluous.