Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

"Spyder" style top for 986?

When I purchased my 2008 Cayman the trade-in offered on my well worn 1997 986 was ridiculously low so I kept it as a fair weather fun car. I now have thoughts of making it a "lightweight" with minimal creature comforts since it is only used for fair weather fun.

It seems a lot of weight could be lost if a Spyder style top could be fitted. This would allow removal of convertible top, motors, deck lid etc. Has anyone done this?

David Saint

noledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #2

One less expensive option would be to let any boat canvass shop make you a tonneau cover, wouldn't help you home in a storm but would keep the car from getting wrecked..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #3

You can save a lot of weight...

... by taking out the soft top and just installing a set of fiberglass humps in place.
And as was also stated, add a tonneau cover and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

i've been thinking like you recently - delete the roof, etc., and fabricate a panel that incorporates both speed humps and clamshell (and perhaps rear trunk lid) into one piece (like the boxster proto or the new spyder) - it would work great with a zeintop; check my other posts for more thoughts on that.

for the lightweight roof, you probably want to avoid drilling a bunch of tenax fasteners into your car (this is the method used for the official porsche tonneau cover). so, i would start by going to a camping supply place and fabricating a tent pole that starts in the spinlock in each side, travels up at the same width as the windows, and then across just above the roll bar.

salvage the front bar that comes with the stock roof (the one with the front latch, etc, in it) and use this as the front mounting point. the new canvas roof would then travel back from this and over the pole (velcro fastened to the pole).

how you deal with the rear window would depend on what you've done with the back panel. if you've gone the speed hump/spyder route, then the rear window would be vertical and you would need to have fasteners at the bottom of the speed hump. this seal should probably be waterproof, so perhaps a permanent attachment here; erecting the roof would require opening the rear panel and unrolling the roof and front bar. like on the spyder, you would need two canvas 'buttresses' that extend back on each side to provide tension, as well as an attachment point on your rear panel for them; some stainless fittings and fastex fasteners and you are there.

if you've decided to just retain your rear clamshell, then your rear window would be similar to that on the stock roof, but the tension and waterproof requirements noted above would still apply.

you also have to deal with the side windows. it'd be tough to follow the curved profile of the window, so i would take the approach used on the spyder and just take a straight descending profile from front to back. some fastex fasteners where this interfaces with the tent pole for tension. remember that you can raise/lower your window from the outside with your key.

Last edited by The Radium King; 09-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Thanks to all, in the short run speedster humps with a fabricated "tent pole" seems the way to go. Maybe GT or someone would consider producing a fiberglass rear deck lid that incorporates decklid, humps etc into one piece like the spyder

DLS
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledoc
Thanks to all, in the short run speedster humps with a fabricated "tent pole" seems the way to go. Maybe GT or someone would consider producing a fiberglass rear deck lid that incorporates decklid, humps etc into one piece like the spyder

DLS

If you could locate a scrap top, and isolate the locking piece on the front, you could use the front lever lock and nose form to work off of for the strongest factory attachment, a good canvass shop could tent up off of that and come back at an angle to drain rain. They can use the same type of bows or aluminum tubes they do on a boat to create a tent, a pole that was behind the center console almost to the firewall would likely work sweet.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #7

yeah, i think someone needs to borrow and install some speed humps, then take a mold of the humps, clamshell and rear trunk lid. create a one-piece panel that fastens at the spinlocks and rear trunk release. it would be light (even lighter if you do a roof delete) and have no seams and overlaps like the three pieces it was made from (in another thread a person noted that the aftermarket porsche speed humps look like 'fish scales' when installed over the other panels).

a lightweight roof could tuck-in underneath, made from the stock roof front attachment, some canvas, a tent pole 'hoop' and a couple of tensioning points on the new back panel. you could even forego the rear window if you have the rear wind deflector option (think of it more as a bimini top than a complete top *** edit to add another idea - build the wind deflector into the rear panel between the speed humps - this way when the bimini is up less water would get into the cockpit ***).

a poor man's spyder kit. perhaps even have a carbon fibre option for the panel and sell with a CF hood - lighter and no need to paint?

Last edited by The Radium King; 09-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

i feel like a dog on a bone ...

i think the rear panel idea is still valid (especially for me with all the stock rear panels deleted for the zeintop anyway) but the more i think about the speedster-style lightweight top, the more i think a bimini is the way to go.

here's an image of the spyder:

spyder w/ roof up

you could mimick that using the front member of a donor boxster roof. you would also have a spreader bar sewn-in to the roof that rests on the roll bar (you could modify a part from a donor roof for this as well); with this approach the roll bar sets the height of the roof and the spreader bar makes the roof as wide as the side windows.

the canvas would follow the same likes as the spyder roof in the link. no rear window (your windscreen would provide some protection) and some gaps at the side windows; enough roof to get you out of the rain and nothing more.

as per the spyder in the link, you would need a fitting at the rear on each side, each with a strap to pull everything tight.

it would roll-up and tuck under the humps when not in use. and you wouldn't need to have deleted your original top or have a custom rear panel to use it, provided you have porsche (or aftermarket) speed humps; the rear attachment could be accomplished with straps routed out the back gap of the clamshell.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #9

what if you were to use the actual tent top from the spyder and fab up the trunk lid with humps etc. ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #10

Another option to support/define the rear of the "bimini" is to use a BK roll bar extension, or the competing product by GSR Autosport. this would give a little headroom above the rollbars, and would be permanent. One less thing to install and remove.

The biggest problem is the "rear curtain" used to make it all waterproof, not really needed if you are content to use the bimini as a sun shade alone, but necessary to drive in any rain.

DLS
Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #11

well, here's an 'exploded' view of the spyder roof:

exploded spyder roof

so the bimini would be part of it. some kind of zippered, removable rear window could provide the back window and additional side protection. without any seal to the body, however, you'll still get water in ...

an actual spyder roof would be cool, but impossible to buy and big bucks if available?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King
well, here's an 'exploded' view of the spyder roof:

exploded spyder roof

so the bimini would be part of it. some kind of zippered, removable rear window could provide the back window and additional side protection. without any seal to the body, however, you'll still get water in ...

an actual spyder roof would be cool, but impossible to buy and big bucks if available?

I have been thinking about this also for the last 6 months or so. For me as long as there are no gale force winds with torrential rain I think you could make something work very nicely. Just incorporate the rubber seals at the top of the door glass the front bar the only thing left is working out the back.

now the question is could all this be stored under the clamshell when not in use?
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Rennzenn

Garage
I've been thinking about this as well. I've got a hardtop, so I removed the soft top, motor, transmissions, etc and lost about 70lbs. I'd like to weld in a "back-half" cage, and I think that could be used to give shape to a lightweight soft top similar to the Spyder's. A zipper or some internal snaps along the back edge would work to hold things together and keep most moderate rain out. Sealing around the windows would be the real trick.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #14

If the back "half cage" replaced the stock rollbars and tied into the rear suspension then both weight and stiffness would be improved. If the stock style trunk lid was retained then a newly fabricated replacement for the clamshell/speedster humps could accommodate the roll bars and tensioning straps. This could be created at low cost using the spinlocks for attachment points. The roll bar height problem for tall drivers would be solved and the roll bars could be fashioned to best accommodate the "bimini" top from a styling viewpoint.

The newly fashioned combination clamshell/speedster humps could also be attached to the convertible top attachment hardware, allowing it to open up, like the new spyder deck lid. Does anyone know how that lid is attached?

DLS
Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #15

roadster-spyder look

This topic interests me alot. I have a 986-S, 2000 model. I have a zeintop and have completely deleted my soft top with its motors, arms and gearboxes, thus saving me weight. I have also deleted my rear storage compartment, carpet and engine cover-the sound is out of this world!

I am going to buy speedster humps, with the speedster humps, convertable cover and boot lid, put together I want to make a one piece moulding. Only the outside will be smoothly finished and painted to match the car, the inside I will just paint black or something. The rear boot lid latch together with the 2 latches behind the doors will secure the speedster top. This will work really well for me as I unclip my zeintop, and clip on my speedster top for good weathered days, It is also ideal for the guys who want to remove the soft-top completely and use the car only as a open top car, ie weekend car.

let me know what you guys think.

Rob
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #16

count me in! let's get a price to fabricate. perhaps someone can lend the humps for molding purposes? wonder what shipping would be from rsa to canada?!?! better yet, you make two panels, i'll make two biminis, and we trade.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #17

spyder top

sounds like a plan, I will do some costing and see what it will cost. I don't want to make any money from it, but sharing the costs to make the mould im keen for. In rsa there is nobody with speedster humps, so ill start looking where I can get the cheapest one, even if it is slightly damaged and unpainted, it would not matter. Will keep you posted.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #18

cool, i'm totally in and can split costs with you. i live in the hinterlands or i'd look into getting it fabbed myself.

ps, if you are running without an engine cover, let's consider some of these for the panel (will add more of a 550 look as well):

louvers
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas
I have also deleted my rear storage compartment, carpet and engine cover-the sound is out of this world!
You run without an engine cover all the time? Can you still hear anything? I tried this once and never again! After about 5 minutes my head felt like it was going to explode and I lost about half of my hearing for the rest of the day.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
You run without an engine cover all the time? Can you still hear anything? I tried this once and never again! After about 5 minutes my head felt like it was going to explode and I lost about half of my hearing for the rest of the day.
I'll second this question.