Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

headlight lens protectant

Performance Products used to sell a prototective film for headlights. I don't see it there anymore, or anywhere else. I never bought them, so I guess I don't know if they are actually beneficial and durable. If I recall, it was a 3M material. I bring this up b/c I just checked Suncoast - they want $2600 for a litronic set. Thats almost twice what I paid a couple years ago. If I break a lens, I'll have to salvage the car!

Anyone got any info?

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
Performance Products used to sell a prototective film for headlights. I don't see it there anymore, or anywhere else. I never bought them, so I guess I don't know if they are actually beneficial and durable. If I recall, it was a 3M material. I bring this up b/c I just checked Suncoast - they want $2600 for a litronic set. Thats almost twice what I paid a couple years ago. If I break a lens, I'll have to salvage the car!

Anyone got any info?
I had clear bra film applied to my headlight and fog light lenses. I do this on all my cars and even here in Colorado, where you have to replace your windshield annually due to stone chips, I have never had a single chip in a headlight lens after applying clear bra to them. You can probably get this done at any clear bra/detailing shop for a few $$.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

There are a LOT of places that sell headlight film and it's very easy to apply. I also add the film under the door pulls to prevent fingernail scratches. You can either buy it in sheet form or pre-cut. Just google it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=PEL-H9906&catalog_description=Lens%20Protecting%20Film
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #4

I have a new, never installed, set of StoneGard lens protectors pre-cut for the Boxster/996, now NLA.

Since I sold my Boxster, I no longer need the kit.

Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. PM me

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Or just use this to polish the lens.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I have a new, never installed, set of StoneGard lens protectors pre-cut for the Boxster/996

What do they look like?
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #7

They look like this:

Cheers!

SOLD
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-14-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Or just use this to polish the lens.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
Have you used it? How well does it get rid of some yellowing on the outside. I noticed some on mine and its litronic blah too much to replace. Was thimking of a color tinted plastic lense cover before to cure the problem. 2 birds one stone
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

I've never used Plexus on yellowed plastic, but it's very mild and I doubt it works very well for that, although others may have more experience with it on yellowed headlights.

I have used several other plastic polishing products. They work temporarily. The headlight will yellow and cloud again in my experience..

Last edited by blue2000s; 09-13-2010 at 07:49 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 AM   #10

True. Plexus just keeps it clean. If the plastic already turned yellow you probably need to get these headlight polish kits ...

http://www.eshine.ca/wolfgang_plastik_lens_cleaning_system-2215.php?cat=13

http://www.eshine.ca/lake_country_professional_plastic_restoration_syst em-1217.php?cat=13

Last edited by ekam; 09-14-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #11

The Plexus does a nice job of making the headlight look clean and sparkly, but it is only a polish and doesn't remove swirls, scratches, haze, etc. I have two cans of it sitting on my shelf so this is personal experience talking. What does work well is the Novus 3 step polishing system. (also on my shelf). You can use it by hand or with a buffer, but the comments about the plastic returning to its previous condition are completely correct.

For a longer lasting solution, speak to this guy:

Headlight restoration service

The owner's name is Richard Cheatwood. Apart from being a satisfied customer, I have no other affiliation with this company.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #12

Garage
so what exactly is the cause of yellowing? if you were to use a kit, polish it up nice and clear then put the stone protector on it.. is that end of story? or will it yellow under the protector?
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The Plexus does a nice job of making the headlight look clean and sparkly, but it is only a polish and doesn't remove swirls, scratches, haze, etc. I have two cans of it sitting on my shelf so this is personal experience talking. What does work well is the Novus 3 step polishing system. (also on my shelf). You can use it by hand or with a buffer, but the comments about the plastic returning to its previous condition are completely correct.

For a longer lasting solution, speak to this guy:

Headlight restoration service

The owner's name is Richard Cheatwood. Apart from being a satisfied customer, I have no other affiliation with this company.
That site does not state a warranty period or gaurantee that lights will not haze or yellow. How long ago were yours treated and are they holding up? Do they put on film?
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

Of course there's no guarantee. They will eventually yellow if you don't clean and polish them every now and then.

All these headlight restoration service/kit does is it takes off the surface layer of the plastic. Not always a good thing IMO.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #15

I had them done last winter and there is no yellowing yet, but I wouldn't expect any this soon. It's not a film, not that I can see.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
JTP

I was going to try Plexus but went with Meguire's PlastX from Walmart instead. I apply it on my litronics and 10 yr old rear plastic window every other week and they're both crytal clear with no yellowing.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote