Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #1

Anyone driven the 05 S??

Wondering how the 05 S compares to the older ones?? I know the magazine sats. are awesome on the new S but wonder what the difference in feel in real world driving is like. Small? Moderate? Huge??

Soulglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #2

Some guys on here have the 05's so maybe they can shed some light on this. They said it was a bit sharper in about every way which I guess one would expect from a new model.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #3

and how can we get a pair of the larger intake scoops so we earlier models can LOOK like an 05? Doing the color coordinated bumber stops are the easy part... Unfortunately, the rear clips and fenders looked different on the 05s I saw on a recent trip to the dealer. I like the larger scoops -
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
and how can we get a pair of the larger intake scoops so we earlier models can LOOK like an 05?

You can get them at your local Toyota dealer. They're MR2 scoops.

Personally, I like the 986 scoops better.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #5

I agree Lux, I think the body color matched scoops on the late gen 986 look better than big black scoops on the new ones. Limon, the only way you are gonna get 987 scoops is to buy a 987.

Last edited by Adam; 04-29-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #6

side vents

I agree, I like the 986 design better than the 987.
TOM986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulglow
Wondering how the 05 S compares to the older ones?? I know the magazine sats. are awesome on the new S but wonder what the difference in feel in real world driving is like. Small? Moderate? Huge??
i did a back to back to back with the 986 and 987 s, both new....the 986s was very nice, a great sports car....the the 987 had a noticably stiffer chassis, quicker and better steering, much more solid shifter, quicker with better torque, more road grip, better exhaust note and much nicer interior and much better seats....so it really a new car, very few carry over pieces......its also slightly longer and wider......in real world driving there is a big difference btw the two cars but you can such big discount on new 04 S and used 03 and 04 S, so it is a matter of driving both to see if its worth the extra 10k or more for the new car.... i planning on keeping my 987 s for a long time, so it was worth paying more for something i really liked....i think the key in buying sports cars is to test drive everything!!! i have test driven almost every car over the years and i have learned a lot about what i like and dont like in a sports car.... you cant go by what the mags write...they are biased and sometimes , i believe, on the take.....some of the cars they raved about i wouldnt take for free////
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #8

I have an '05 S, but have not driven an earlier version to compare it to. I did drive a Mercedes SLK for comparison, and the Boxster blew it away. My dealer now has left over '04's, '05's on the way, and you can order '06's; so an '04 would probably be a deal if you are looking for value.

I love the car. Clutch, shifter, steering, brakes are right on.
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #9

None, as I was just glad to get the model with the equipment and color I wanted via a dealer swap. My dealer found one just being built that a dealer in Illinois had ordered and gave them a future build in exchange. However '04's are in less demand than '05's, so there is some room for negotiation there.

Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote