986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lubricating top mechanism? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25744)

tawheed 08-11-2010 02:49 PM

Lubricating top mechanism?

Just wondering what a good grease to use on the top mechanism? I noticed the one side of the top cover "judders" a bit during movement I'm assuming it just needs to be lubricated..

thanks

chaudanova 08-11-2010 08:52 PM

perhaps try some white lithium grease

clickman 08-11-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaudanova
perhaps try some white lithium grease

That's what I used

eightsandaces 08-12-2010 02:15 AM

In a pinch you can use petroleum jelly, I started using it for lube after Porsche recommended rubbing it into the black fuchs wheels, it's cheap too.,, every dollar store has it.

Flavor 987S 08-12-2010 07:33 AM

Krytox or Wurth products.

JoeFromPA 08-12-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
That's what I used

Did it solve the juddering?

Mine has been like this, and when I first asked about it within the P-car community people told me the top mechanisms were sealed and non-greasable.

I've since realized that it's not the TOP mechanism that judders, it's the body-color metal panel that slides forward and back to cover the top when it's down.

I'm going to apply some chassis grease, very lightly, in all the mechanisms I can find and see if it smooths out.

eightsandaces 08-12-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

Mine has been like this, and when I first asked about it within the P-car community people told me the top mechanisms were sealed and non-greasable.

I've since realized that it's not the TOP mechanism that judders, it's the body-color metal panel that slides forward and back to cover the top when it's down.

I'm going to apply some chassis grease, very lightly, in all the mechanisms I can find and see if it smooths out.

On mine, there is a rail on each side in which a mechanism slides back and fourth, it's really easy to clean and re grease annually.

tawheed 08-12-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

I put some lithium grease in the tracks today and the judder is gone :)