986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '99 Engine Dying After Normal Startup (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25572)

BoxNasty 07-28-2010 06:05 AM

'99 Engine Dying After Normal Startup

Hey Gents:

I've a '99 Box with a serious problem. Whenever I start 'er up after she's sat in the hot summer sun, she does fine and idles smoothly, but, after about 20-30 seconds, she dies. I crank the starter for about 5-10 seconds and she usually starts back up, as if nothing happened. Once, however, she wouldn't start back up after dying, and I had to have her towed to the local dealer. The next morning, when tested, she immediately started up without a problem.

I've had the P0446 EVAP Canister Purge Valve Faulty code come on many times, so I finally got around to changing the 996-605-201-01-M100 "EVAP Canister Shut-off Valve" and the fuel tank cap, as recommended by the dealer, a month ago. My problem hasn't stopped. I'm still getting the P0446 code. On a diagram I found on RennTech, it shows that there's another valve connected to the EVAP system that's actually called an "EVAP Canister Purge Valve" that appears to be located in the engine compartment, away from the charcoal canister and shut-off valve that I replaced...but I can't find the part number, or find anyone that carries the "EVAP Canister Purge Valve," just the shut-off valve that I already replaced.

Pelican Parts has part # 996-110-129-05-M100 "Regeneration Valve from Throttle Body for Fuel Vapor System" but has absolutely no diagrams, links, or otherwise connected to it, just a description saying "This valve is used to vent fuel vapors from the fuel tank." I couldn't find anything on Google about it. Anybody know if this is the part that I was actually supposed to replace, or what part I might really need? If it is the right part, anybody know how to install it?

Thanks.

BoxNasty 07-30-2010 05:57 AM

Help

Can anybody help?

Mark_T 07-30-2010 02:36 PM

I'd suggest sending an email to the techs at Pelican. They're usually very helpful.

Someone else was recently posting with a similar problem - when ever he parked the car on a hot day after the engine was already hot it would not restart until everything cooled down. Here's the thread if you want to see if he solved it:

summer starting problem

This thread may also help:

hot start problem

BoxNasty 08-08-2010 09:01 PM

Hrmph

Well, it's taken me three years, literally, to get around to fixing it. But, hey, all's well that ends well.

If anybody's having EVAP-related CEL problems and/or hot day starting problems, etc, I would definitely recommend spending the $50 (used)-$115(new) for part # 996-110-129-05-M100 "Regeneration Valve from Throttle Body for Fuel Vapor System" that includes what is called the "EVAP canister purge valve" on the Porsche diagrams. The snake-like piece easily detaches in three spots: one on the undercarriage, way below the airbox, the other to the right of the airbox literally inside a gap between intake ports on the engine head (hopefully that's the correct technical terminology), and finally on a bracket that holds the EVAP line snug to the intake port. It took me longer to find those connection points than it did to detach the part. You'll need a screwdriver, a small wrench (I think it was 5/16"), and possibly pliers. Good luck with the nut that holds the little bracket on...holy cow.

Replaced the part, had the battery disconnected, reconnected after 5 minutes or whatever, and the CEL was off. I haven't had any hot summer starting problems (see first post) any more. Woohoo!

Mark_T 08-09-2010 04:14 AM

Gotta love a happy ending!

jcb986 08-09-2010 05:11 AM

Another score for this website. Guys with problems and the fix so we all have info to trouble shoot any thing that pops up. I recommend that the Forum owners "using what's been posted over time", create a small DYI of a problem and the fix and posted here in the Forum Menu. Makes finding it a lot easier. :cheers: