Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #1

A MP3 player that look nice in the Boxster cockpit

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about upgrading a receiver that can play MP3s on a CD. I have seen different receivers in showrooms but (to me) they have a ghetto look which doesn't belong in a Porsche. Any suggestions?

spgribben007

spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 AM   #2

iPOD

I run an iPOD in my car and love it. The design of the iPOD fits nicely with the interior of the car. I run mine through the radio, but you may want a better connection depending if you have upgraded your sound system or not.

The sound is crystal clear through the radio using iTRIP..

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:56 AM   #3

The Alpine headunits are pretty low key. No Neon flashing lights.
Growing up I always associated Alpine with Lamborghinis from their magazine ads. I would suggest you get one that is capable of receiving Satellite radio.
I've had mine for 6 months now and I will never go back to FM. I like the constant flow of new music so I have stoped using the Ipod in the car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #4

I guess I should start thinking about the future with Satellite radio. I pay monthy fees for my Satellite Dish, my cell phones and my internet connection. At least FM radio is FREE.
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 AM   #5

Go for one of the sony TFT screen units i have a cdx1000 (i think ... will check)... you have alot of different diplay option inluding changing the color on the screen ... i changed it to match the orange on the stock ste up... also sounds and its got MP3..lovely piece of kit.... matches up with the car really wel.
Sy Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #6

This is a great question given that, in my opinion, the factory Porsche sound experience doesn't come anywhere near the driving experience. To me the 2 should go hand in hand but there is always the question of aftermarket sound equipment not looking good in a car like the box. I recently did and upgrade which I was nervous about at first but when finished turned out pretty good. Had to spend some duckets to get it but feel it was worth it. I'll take some pix and post them soon. Whatever you do my suggestion would be, unless you feel comfortable doing the install yourself, not to let the "installers" at Circut City or Best Buy near your car. I'm fortunate in that there is a shop near where I live where the owner is passionate about car audio and is a real professional at doing custom work. See if you can find someone in your area that fits that bill and if you live anywhere near NC I'll give you the info. on the shop I used. I'm long winded on this subject but the pursuit of marrying audio and auto performance with a car as sweet as the Box is important.

Soulglow is offline   Reply With Quote