Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Sqeaking from front end

HI There, I have just bought 2001 Boxster S and have a terrible sqeaking noise coming from the front end, can anyone tell me what it may be?

It has only just started happening and was not there when I picked it up on Saturday

Thanks.

Chris.

Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #2

Maybe from the control arms. They have rubber bushings and will eventually squeak. One guy here replaced them and also installed a grease fittings and greased them too. He has no more problems. You can search the forum and see what turns up.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

to JCB986

Many thanks to you! Yes I think you could be right! it sounds like an old cart on rough track. Regards, Chris.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #4

I just noticed you live up North. Cold weather on rubber makes it harder over time. Just the opposite in warm weather Florida. I also remembered a member here changed his out on the front withe neofream type and it still squeaked...I believe a member told him about how he installed the grease fittings and solved the problem. If I find the link I will send it to you.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

Most likely the balljoints in the control arms. I have had mine just replaced. Very common problem.
chris7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

Squeak issue

Chris, if you push down on the front end and if you are sitting in the car and turn the wheel you hear the sound, it is hard to trace the exact location but is most likely the ball joint on the lower control arm. I had mine replaced but as my wife is a nurse i tried injecting a little wd40 into the rubber ball joint to see what the score was (not recomended but as the car was booked in for the replacement i thought i'd try it) Hey presto the entire noise had dissappeared. I wouldn't use this as a fix as there must be evidence of wear around the joint in the first place ( slight vibration around 70MPH?.)

Hope this helps.

By the way have a look regarding the supplier on the front page of this site. Don't try a cheap supplier as it's a waste of time and money. I paid £380 for the 2 in the end and am very happy with the improvement and removal of the terrible noise!!

Regards
steve
stiggerq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7676
Most likely the balljoints in the control arms. I have had mine just replaced. Very common problem.
Thanks Chris, yes had it done, fine now!

C.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #8

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggerq
Chris, if you push down on the front end and if you are sitting in the car and turn the wheel you hear the sound, it is hard to trace the exact location but is most likely the ball joint on the lower control arm. I had mine replaced but as my wife is a nurse i tried injecting a little wd40 into the rubber ball joint to see what the score was (not recomended but as the car was booked in for the replacement i thought i'd try it) Hey presto the entire noise had dissappeared. I wouldn't use this as a fix as there must be evidence of wear around the joint in the first place ( slight vibration around 70MPH?.)

Hope this helps.

By the way have a look regarding the supplier on the front page of this site. Don't try a cheap supplier as it's a waste of time and money. I paid £380 for the 2 in the end and am very happy with the improvement and removal of the terrible noise!!

Regards
steve
Thanks Stigger, yes it was ball joints, all done and cured now. C.