Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

brake wear light

I had my brakes and sensors replaced but the light is still on ? should it go right out? or will it take some drive cycles or maybe a bad new sensor? it came on before I had the brakes service done. it was done at an inie guy so he's not sure either.

Thank You

02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

The sensors need to be replaced and the computer reset. I'd be pretty concerned about any indy that wasn't clear about something this basic.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #3

How does one reset the computer? Can I just remove the battery connection?

Thanks,
Mark
19" Rims (for show/bad weather)
17" w/Toyo R888's (for zooming)
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

did my 98 brakes last month ,myself. THe wear light would eventually lite sometimes. No need to reset anything, at least on mine. The mechanic may have not connected the new sensors properly, it seems to be an open/close circuit, no mistery.
edbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #5

You shouldn't have to reset the computer to get the light off. You either have a bad sensor or he didn't put them in.

The light comes on when the circuit in the brake wear sensor is open. It rubs on the rotor and eventually cuts the wire in the sensor opening the circuit. It is also open if the sensor is not installed.

If you used aftermarket pads, they don't always have the holes drilled in them for the sensor. If not, he may have skipped the sensor for that pad rather than drill the holes himself.

Pull the wheels off and check to make sure you really have new sensors if they are installed at all. If they look new, replace them one at a time and see if the light goes off. The light will go off as soon as the car is started if the circuit is closed.

If you need a write-up on the brakes, here is a good one: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/change_pads/

Here is a good place to get the sensors if you need them: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/boxster_main.htm

The brakes on this car are very easy to replace so if the guy messed this up I really wouldn't let him do anything else to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOfZero
How does one reset the computer? Can I just remove the battery connection?

Thanks,
Mark
If you want to clear codes, you something like the Durametric software. It won't clear a brake wear code though since it's a simple open circuit that causes the problem.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote