Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #1

Disabling motion sensor when setting alarm

A little embarrassing (and kinda funny) when the waitress at Red Lobster says your alarm is going off, and your chihuahua is in the window wagging her tail

So how can I still set the alarm without the motion sensor? ...I told my girlfriend I'll just put the dog in the trunk next time

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I think your method would work best (just don't like chihuahuas, personally)

I digress, to answer your concern, it's actually pretty simple. The answer can be found in your owners manual, but if you don't have it, all you have to do is lock the car, unlock it, and lock it again in quick succession, and the motion sensor will be disabled in case you leave anyone (or a pet) in the car and don't want the alarm to go off. You'll be able to tell because you won't see the IR sensor doing its usual flashing. Give it a try.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Owners manual has a slightly different instructions. Maybe it varies a bit depending on year.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I think your method would work best (just don't like chihuahuas, personally)

I digress, to answer your concern, it's actually pretty simple. The answer can be found in your owners manual, but if you don't have it, all you have to do is lock the car, unlock it, and lock it again in quick succession, and the motion sensor will be disabled in case you leave anyone (or a pet) in the car and don't want the alarm to go off. You'll be able to tell because you won't see the IR sensor doing its usual flashing. Give it a try.
actually, you lock it twice, not lock - unlock - lock.

just lock twice with the key fob or turn the key in the door twice in the "lock" direction. you'll know the sensor is deactived because the car will beep once and the led light on the dash will stay solid for a few seconds instead of blinking rapidly.

video demonstration
Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
actually, you lock it twice, not lock - unlock - lock.

just lock twice with the key fob or turn the key in the door twice in the "lock" direction. you'll know the sensor is deactived because the car will beep once and the led light on the dash will stay solid for a few seconds instead of blinking rapidly.

video demonstration

I get the key-in-lock explanation, tony, but how exactly does one lock the car twice in a row with the key fob? Couldn't view the video (says private??), but wouldn't locking twice require you to unlock in between when using the button?

Or are we just talking about two quick presses of the button? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the way it's written.

And demick, that's exactly the part of the manual I was referring to. Thanks for the image.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 07-20-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I get the key-in-lock explanation, tony, but how exactly does one lock the car twice in a row with the key fob? Couldn't view the video (says private??), but wouldn't locking twice require you to unlock in between when using the button?
i see what you're saying - since the "lock" and "unlock" button are the same. yes, you press the "lock/unlock" button twice quickly.

(unprivated now)
Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I gotcha. I guess Porsche could use a little work on their verbiage for overly literal/analytical people like myself. Thanks for clearing that up.

As the manual says texomawaves, make sure you inform your occupant that the alarm will go off if he/she manages to open the door.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #8

Ha Ha. Never even occurred to me that 'lock twice' would be interpreted as 3 button presses since locking and unlocking use the same button. But it does make sense. Just goes to show that even the simplest of instructions can easily be intepreted in different ways.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #9

Wow, thanks guys!!

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote