Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Cool Aftermarket Boxster Headlights. Who is interested?

My headlights lenses have alot of little scratch/mini-crack marks when you look from the side.

I want to replace them, so i looked and did not find any aftermarket headlights.

I want projectors at least, like the ones you can buy for integra's, civics etc.

I contacted "Spec-D Tuning" one of the larger aftermarket headlight distributers.

I told them it is the same headlight unit in the 911. The only option we have to put in nicer headlights involve changing the hood, bumper, and fenders. I asked if they can make some for me, and what is the minimum order.

They are going to do some research to see if the market is good to manufacture a headlight for a boxster.

I asked for pictures of what they plan to make. They will contact me in about 1 month after doing there research.

They said $500 is the initial purchase for a wholesseller.

I'm not a wholeseller, but if worse come to worse I'll take orders to at least get a minimum order.

I would like one of the dealers here, or members interested in this project want to take over. I just want newer headlight with HID's.

If your interested just post and I'll give an update in a month.

or if your an experienced group buy person, or seller, I'll give you the contact info.

Better yet, if you have info on existing aftermarket 986 Headlights let me know.

Thanks,

Jerry

BlitzSRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #2

You can retrofit your existing headlamp units with HID units for a couple of hundred bucks, but the problem is that they sometimes heat up and cloud the inside of the unit, and they're not focused beams like the real deal, which means when you use them people will flash their brights at you due to the horrible glare they give off.

The people you spoke with about replacements with a 911 are thinking about the newer 911's with a different shape. You are indeed correct in that some model year 911's did use HID's (what Porsche calls Litronics) and they can be purchased from salvaged cars.

Your best bet is to purchase a set of Porsche Litronics from someone used or new for your model year boxster the way I did. I found a brand new set with the controller box that must be wired into the harness for $1200 on eBay. That was 3-4 years ago though. They're far more expensive now because Porsche isn't making them any longer, or if they are, they are special order from Germany and not readily available at parts counters and Porsche parts resellers.

This is not a cheap upgrade no matter which route you take.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Yeah, currently it's not a cheap upgrade.

Hopefully if this project pans out, it will be.

Integra/Civic Forums organize buys like this to start, now they have a fair choice of affordable headlight assemblies. If they manage to organize it, then we should be able too. If the market is there.

I would guess if there is a market for rear brake light assemblies (because there are some available for boxster) that there would be a market for headlight too.

Someone just has to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

Garage
Randall is correct. Find yourself a set of Litronics either new or used and be done with it.
You'll be glad that you did.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #5

randal how much wiring is there to install the litronics? The dealer originally told me it's "extensive" was that an exageration to get more installation money?
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKen
randal how much wiring is there to install the litronics? The dealer originally told me it's "extensive" was that an exageration to get more installation money?
Ken

There's an extra control box that can come with the litronics that helps to level the lights under hard acceleration or braking. Most people who get them don't even bother to install the box. Without that box the litronics function exactly the same as the regular halogen headlights - they just point straight ahead. Installing them without the control box takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes. You just slide the old lights out and slide the new ones in. There's a locking rod that holds them in place. It's pretty simple. A few years ago I added litronics without the control box and am very satisfied.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #7

Garage
I actually bought one off Ebay a month ago. Waited for the last minute to bid on it. Paid $305 for it (my Boxster has Litronics but the driver side one had the lens melt - thanks to the local Porsche Dealer in town). My melted one is sitting at home as spare parts.
So if you do look for these on Ebay AND be patient, you can get both Litronic headlights for under $900 for sure.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #8

Yeah, nevermind. I guess no one else is interested.

Porsche Litronics looks good, I'll just put those in.

I'll wait for the designs that D-Spec sends back, and post it.

Till then i can't really say which looks better.

I think it won't have the quality of the Porsche Litronics. but if it's cheap enough, I'll just put in an order myself. $500 is less than half of what the Litronics cost.

I can swap them out when ever i want. It's easy to change assemblies anyways.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #9

I have had your same thought -- if there is a broad variety of aftermarket headlights for nearly all Hondas, why not for Boxsters? I would be interested in some tasteful, all-clear headlights.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
There's an extra control box that can come with the litronics that helps to level the lights under hard acceleration or braking. Most people who get them don't even bother to install the box. Without that box the litronics function exactly the same as the regular halogen headlights - they just point straight ahead. Installing them without the control box takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes. You just slide the old lights out and slide the new ones in. There's a locking rod that holds them in place. It's pretty simple. A few years ago I added litronics without the control box and am very satisfied.

Kirk

I've got an extra Litronic control module if anyone is interested in it...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #11

Blitz, when you get the designs back, please post them here

I'd be interested in aftermarket headlights

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #12

I have litronics and I'd be interested in an aftermarket alternative. Especially one that is interesting or makes my car look unique.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #13

Garage
Kirk's advise is right on. The Litronics are plug and play. I had the control box installed with mine, and frankly it didn't seem worth it. If I had to do it over again, I would just slide the new lights in and forget about it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gougoushu
I have had your same thought -- if there is a broad variety of aftermarket headlights for nearly all Hondas, why not for Boxsters? I would be interested in some tasteful, all-clear headlights.
Yeah there are alot for Honda headlight assemblys. some nice, some ugly. HID, angel eyes, LED's... they make alot because there were probablly more Civics sold in one year then 986's ever sold. So there's a market for alot of different designs.

all i want is 1 decent one.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Blitz, when you get the designs back, please post them here

I'd be interested in aftermarket headlights

Thanks
Sasha

Thanks I'll post them, if and when I get the. I believe they will do a market study first. If it's feasible, they will draw a design up.

I hope they don't run in to this thread. It seems like only a few people are interested.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdefino
I have litronics and I'd be interested in an aftermarket alternative. Especially one that is interesting or makes my car look unique.
Yeah me too.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSRM
they make alot because there were probablly more Civics sold in one year then 986's ever sold. So there's a market for alot of different designs.

Right, I think market is a big part of it. How many people modify their Hondas compared to Porsche owners? A lot of young kids get a cheap Honda given to them and then modify it as funds permit. There's a big market then for Honda tuner parts. Heck there are even whole magazines just dedicated to Honda tuning. Face it though, we're the minority when it comes to Boxster owners. Most Boxster owners are perfectly happy keeping their cars 100% stock. Many Porsche snobs feel it is an affront to the fine Porsche engineering to change anything!

I was reminded of this last Sunday when I went on a PCA tour. There were several Boxsters on the tour - all 100% stock. A lot of people ogled my Boxster as I had it dressed up nice in humps and all... but would any of those other owners even consider changing out their amber side markers to clear? Nope! I think the market is less limited by the number of Boxster cars as it is by the age and attitudes of most of the owners.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #18

Kirk,

I like the way you modified your car.

I don't want to jack my own thread. so i posted a reply in Show and Tell.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #19

I'm actually surprized there are so little aftermarket parts for Boxsters, especially since OEM is so Expensive. I didn't know you can ask a company to design a headlight for you

Headlights are a good example of overpriced piece of hardware 1K for a pair of used xenons.. granted they look nice but 1K? maybe if we get this through they will become like tail lights.. you can buy LED ones for 150 on Ebay.

Even aftermarket parts are more expensive for Porsches.. there is a company on ebay that sells GT2 front bumper for Boxster for 700++, same company sells modified front bumper for Scion for 143$... I don't think in our bumper goes 5 times more fiberglass...

Imagine a LED Headlight with Halo ring (like leaked 2012 boxster pics)... I think it would look soooo cool

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
I'm actually surprized there are so little aftermarket parts for Boxsters, especially since OEM is so Expensive. I didn't know you can ask a company to design a headlight for you

Headlights are a good example of overpriced piece of hardware 1K for a pair of used xenons.. granted they look nice but 1K? maybe if we get this through they will become like tail lights.. you can buy LED ones for 150 on Ebay.

Even aftermarket parts are more expensive for Porsches.. there is a company on ebay that sells GT2 front bumper for Boxster for 700++, same company sells modified front bumper for Scion for 143$... I don't think in our bumper goes 5 times more fiberglass...

Imagine a LED Headlight with Halo ring (like leaked 2012 boxster pics)... I think it would look soooo cool

Thanks
Sasha
Yeah, i get frustrated at that. It cost money to make tooling for the first one.

But the manufacturers have to charge more a peice, to make up the difference in the quantity that is sold.

Plus, i believe there is only 1 aftermarket tail light. There is no competition, So they will charge higher.