Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Actron Cp 9135

Does anyone know if this code reader is good? I am about to buy it from NAPA for 100 bucks to figure out why the check engine light is on.

Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Obd-ii

The reviews on this model in Amazon.com are mixed, some think it is a older model that has been discontinued. Software cannot be updated online, requires a chip replacement.
If you own a Boxster, you almost have to get a OBD-II reader to deal with the pesky CEL's you are sure to get. I got a fairly low priced one and have used it three times in the last year. Just do your homework and get a decent one unless you have a autoparts store that lets you use theirs for free. You can use the money you save to buy some parts if you want to deal with the inconvience of having to go down to their store everytime the CEL comes on, and it will come on, its only a matter of time till the next one.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

I bought a cheap one for 80$ and it gave me two codes p1128 and p1130. from what I have read I will need to replace my mass air flow. should run about 200 bucks and this should fix the CEL i have. I guess the hard part is finding one on this island. lol
Mauiboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

From what I've seen on the forum some have had success in just cleaning the MAF
Old 07-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #5

I use one

on my '01S, Honda and Acura. Works fine. There are functions unique to a Porsche that code readers don't cover. Durametric S/W does more but not all. The dealer's computers do em all.

The Actron s/w is pretty useless compared to the info available on the net. Just plug the car model and code into google and you'll get a better description of the problem in one of the forums (some forum responders cut from the Porsche diagnostic manuals to try and help) than the s/w does plus it isn't Porsche inclusive. I say that to suggest that if I were on eBay I'd buy the $60 used with no s/w version rather than the $100+ new one complete with packaging, instructions and s/w.

I originally posted the above at 8:48 this AM. At 12:45 after a run of 40 miles and then back again I opened the throttle wide and maxed the RPMs. I shut down after a 1/2 mile run. On restart, got a solid CEL. A mile from home. Parked in the garage, connected the CP9135. Synching, pressed read code button, read the code, said 0139 O2 sensor bank 1 slow ... even which side of the engine the problem was on. 2 buttons to delete the code, deleted the code. Will watch and if it reoccurs, will buy the Bosch part and replace the sensor. Total diagnostic time....2 minutes. Code displayed was accompanied by English explanation. Couldn't have been easier/clearer/faster.

I'm fortunate to have the Porsche diagnostic book and don't believe any code reader would be as complete in terms of defining the steps to be taken and in which order to determine the real cause behind a code. I don't depend on a code reader for anything beyond 4 digits...after that I'd begin looking online in the Boxster forums for the meaning of the code and the possible solutions.

A day later I took a cruise at 65mph for 40 miles, stopped for a minute and then cruised back again. My CEL stayed out. From this I determine I got the ECU confused by dumping so much fuel into the engine and then stopping so quickly after doing it. But I'll watch the CEL and do a series of code readings to see if any secondary codes show up. At worst, I'll replace 2 O2 sensors at my local muffler shop.

Last edited by mikefocke; 07-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #6

I bought the 9580 model because it gives you some input as to what needs to be done to correct the problem. I had the 1128 and 1130 codes and a new MAF made a huge difference. My 99 never ran better. BH
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote: "I'm fortunate to have the Porsche diagnostic book and don't believe any code reader would be as complete in terms of defining the steps to be taken and in which order to determine the real cause behind a code."

Posted by mikefocke.

When you say 'Porsche diagnostic book' I assume you're not talking about one of the service manuals (Right?) Where'd you get it?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

Porsche actually did have a printed "OBD II Diagnostics" manual for each model series (986, 996, etc.) that gave you a diagnostic decision tree for each code; but those are no longer in print. Pelican used to offer a reprint of the one for 986's thru 2004, but I do not know if they still do, you'd have to check with them......
Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #9

This one? Worth the $35 I suppose?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #10

It is good, but not perfect; it has most of the possible codes, but lacks the "TSB" updates the OEM version had until they stopped printing them. It is also only useful up to 2004 models (and not even all of them), so it does not cover the later DME's. Unfortuantely, it is also the only source currently available for sale.............
Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
OBDII diagnostic info is free to members at renntech.org. No need to buy the book IMHO. Get the codes, search diagnostics, search forums for causes and cures... works every time and did I mention it is totally free.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
OBDII diagnostic info is free to members at renntech.org. No need to buy the book IMHO. Get the codes, search diagnostics, search forums for causes and cures... works every time and did I mention it is totally free.
Good to know...Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #13

The info on RennTech is simple broad context data: "P0101 Mass Air Flow Sensor - Signal Implausible "; the OEM OBD II diagnostics book would tell you exactly what to test (which pin or terminal), what to test it for (e.g.: voltage, continuity, etc) in order to determine what was wrong with the MAF and if it could be saved............much more useful when trying to repair a car.