Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #1

Rear drivetrain noise

97 Boxster with Tiptronic transmission is making a noise while making left hand turns. The car will not create the sound in right turns. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear and almost sounds like splines of the axle grinding (best example I could think of) clunking like. Usually have to be accelerating or making a quick left turn to produce the noise. I have taken it to a shop I trust that does general maintance and tires and they inspected everything and said that the rear bearing doesn't have play, the C.V.s seem like they do not have excessive play, and all the bushings are tight. Any ideas on what this could be? Thank you for the help.

tylka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

If the CVs are bad, where is a good company to purchase new one from for the tiptronic gearbox?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had that problem except that it only happened on right turns under power. Turned out it was a worn out motor mount that caused enough driveline disturbance that the grinding showed up in those conditions. New motor mount fixed the problem. This happened to my car at around 60k miles. My car's a manual though.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
jwright

There are several situations that can create rear drivetrain noise. It the gears have been quiet and began to howl, they are probably worn or wearing. It is a possibility of the pinion bearing preload has lossened. The pinion spins is a common situation that may not make noise.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #5

I agree, check the motor mount first, they usually go bad around 60k miles. Also, the joints on the CV could be bad...not cheap fix. Check with NAPA Parts and see if they carry rebuilts or a German Dismantler. Also, rear axle bearings go bad and as for the pinion, you have a TIP and this is a very remote problem. If you can not isolate the problem, take it to an Indy and have them trouble shoot the problem and give you a price...then decided which way to go.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check the motor mount this weekend and then go from there. I believe the pinion bearing would be the worst case. Axle or motor mount would not be too bad to replace. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #7

Took me long enough, but I fianlly was able to take motor mount out of the Boxster and it was in need of replacement. The metal sleve in the mount was actually shifting to one side. No noises now and the car can now be driven like it was meant to be driven through the curves of the road. Thanks for the help.