Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Boxster top switch

Does anyone else but me think the top switch is opposite of what it should be? I think reversing the terminals to make the top go down when the button is pushed and up when pulled would make more sense than the Porsche way which is opposite. This was a minor issue with me until my dog pushed the button at about 45 mph and almost destroyed the top. Unbelievably, there is no safety to NOT allow up activation above 30 mph and guess what, you can't stop the top until you slow to less than 7 mph!

PS - Even my wife agrees with me on this one!

Does anyone know how to access the terminals for the top switch on a 987? It looks like taking the plastic off the console will allow access but it's not obvious how to remove the plastic.

'77 AW 440 Maico
'08 KTM 450 EXCR
blkflg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #2

Unless i am missing something or the car has been modified, the top should not go down without the parking brake light on and your speed slower than around 15mph.

did you buy it new? There are simple mods to remove the saftey locks so that you can open and close the top without stopping or slowing or putting on the brake.

Is this new to the 987?
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

It's the top going up that is the problem. A 987 allows the top to go up while driving and above 7 mph will not stop until completed. The specs. say it's ok to raise the top up tp 30 mph but there is no safety to disallow raising above 30 mph!
I did get the car new and it has not been modified - except by the dog!

'77 AW 440 Maico
'08 KTM 450 EXCR
blkflg is offline   Reply With Quote