Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #1

Removing Transmission Question

I'm just removing the manual transmission out of my 99 Boxster and have run into a snag. There is one "triple square / XZN" bolt on the lower left side of the bell housing. I bought a 1/2 inch drive driver to remove it but there isn't enough room to get in and loosen it. Is there a specific tool that some people of used to remove this bolt? It seems like an allen key style XZN would be perfect.

hosickjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #2

I had the same issue, ending up cutting the driver so that it would fit and then used a wrench on it. Real pain to find the right tool.

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Thank you VERY much! I will post a picture of the tool I used in case anyone has this same problem and wants to know what they need to do. Came out with no problems.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

I did the same thing. But later found out that the 993 fan wrench fits perfectly. It's in the factory kit that come with the car. I haven't found one yet but they work great. It's like the Allen head wrenches that just have a 90 degree bend in them but this is a triple square.
amondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #5

Modified Triple Square

Here is a picture of the modified Triple Square I used to remove the transmission. The triple squares are cheap and can be bought at most automotive places. I got mine from Canadian Tire.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #6

Most triple square sockets, particularly the 1/2 drives, are ridiculously long and will not fit. Several manufacturers (like Beta and SK) produce "Shorty" triple square sockets in 3/8 drive that will just fit in the space without anything attached, making the bolt removal job a snap......

Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Tranny removal

Thinking about pulling my 98 boxster tranny to replace clutch. Anybody have any experience DIY???
Rkacz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

If you have ever removed a transmission from almost any car you don't need a DIY to remove a Boxster transmission. Very easy to do, will take a couple hours.
A quick run down:
-Jack up car and secure on jack stands.
-Remove all lower covers.
-Remove suspension supports that run under transmission
-Remove exhaust system (can leave headers on) -- I was able to remove my stock exhaust system without removing the rear bumper but I understand not everyone can. You will have to try and see yourself. Much easier with 2 people!
-Using an Allen Key, remove right and left 1/2 shafts from transmission (tie them up with shoe laces so they are out of the way.
-Pop both shift linkages off transmission (can be done carefully with a flat screwdriver and a plactic hammer.
-Undue hydrolic line from slave cylinder and drain fluid into a container. Unhook electical plugs at the same time, they are beside the slave cylinder.
-Using a motorcycle jack you can support the transmission using 2x4s and the jack. You much support the engine at this point to. I used a 4x4 with a 2x4 hammer the the bottom and wedged it under the oil pan.
-Remove the 2 tranmission mounts located across from eachother middle section on the tranmission.
-Remove all bolts connecting the transmission to engine including the triple square one with a tool like i posted earlier in this forum.
-Slide transmission back and drop down.
-If you have an engine lock (Porsche tool) you can install it at this time and remove the clutch like any other clutch. I was a bad boy and locked the engine using the belt drive pulley (it has a slot that you can slide a 5/16th bolt in and lock the engine ((used for installing 2-4-6 pistons and timing the engine)). Also works for this purpose.
-Install new clutch and do everything in reverse.

I recommend having the flywheel re-surfaced or replaced at this point.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #9

Removing Tranny

Thanks for the info. My 98 boxster clutch is feeling a little stiff but seems to work fine. Not sure if I want to replace the clutch or upgrade to a newer Boxster at this time. I kept your info and apprectiate the time you took to answer this question.

Rkacz1 is offline   Reply With Quote