Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Garage
NC mountain drive

My son and I took the Boxster up to North Carolina to Highlands and Cashiers today for some cool mountain air and curvy roads. Having lived there in the past I knew which roads were relatively uninhabited this time of year and had just the right type of curves we were looking for.

We took Warwoman Dell Road from Clayton to Highlands then 64 from Highlands to Cashiers had lunch then Horse Cove Road back to Highlands for an Ice Cream and then back down Warwoman to Clayton.

I am truly impressed with velcrolike grip of my Boxster on the tight curves and switchbacks. It was perfectly neutral and very well behaved I was really pleased with how rock solid it was.

This was the first opportunity to compare the performance of the Boxster on roads where I have driven many different types of cars and where I could push the Boxster to the limit in a fairly safe environment for a long enough periods to really get the feel of the chassis on the edge. Where I live in Georgia the roads are too straight and the speeds to high to really do this safely.

There were some other nice cars up there, we saw quite a few Porsches, a white 987 that looked brand new was in front of us for about fourteen miles, it was a tip and they were out for a tour but I would rather be held up by a 987 than something else, a silver 986, a yellow and a red whale tail 911 both aircooled cabrios, a silver Carrera 4 996 cabrio, a red Ferrari testarossa (he waved at us), a Bentley, a Panoz Esperante cabrio parked with the top down during a rain shower and the new Jag four seater saloon that just came out that looks just like a long Aston rapide.

It was a great day!