Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

Lunging - pardon my ignorance

Can someone explain to me in basic terms what this means? I’ve read on several of the IMS threads that ‘lunging’ leads to bad things (IMS failure and is generally not a good driving habit for these cars). I have no idea if I’m ‘lunging’ or not. Thanks for your help.

my1999boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1999boxster
Can someone explain to me in basic terms what this means? I’ve read on several of the IMS threads that ‘lunging’ leads to bad things (IMS failure and is generally not a good driving habit for these cars). I have no idea if I’m ‘lunging’ or not. Thanks for your help.

we just had a thread on this a week ago.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #3

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25016&highlight=lugging

Read that
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

lunging is when your car smokes too much..j/k ..you can lug your car by pulling out in first gear then shift into 4th gear ....it puts a strain on the motor
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #5

RE: Lunging

I'm searching wrong, it is lugging. Thanks for the feedback, gonna read that thread now.

Last edited by my1999boxster; 06-17-2010 at 10:58 AM.
my1999boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #6

I posted the thread already. Just go to that.

A good way to think of lugging (lunging) the car is to picture riding a 15 gear bike. When you start at a low gear, you accelerate faster, but max out at a lower speed. When you start at a high gear, you accelerate slower, but max out at a higher speed. Starting out at a high gear puts a lot more strain on your legs to accelerate to that high speed. To be efficient, you would start at a low gear, accelerate up to the higher speeds, and then switch to the higher gears.

Translating this to the car, accelerating at low speeds in high gears will put a lot of strain on your engine and transmission. Don't do it.
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Don't drive below 3K RPM if you're traveling at highway speeds. And downshift after you've slowed down to pull up to a red light, pay a toll, etc. Doing the lazy "I'll just get back on the throttle while keeping the car in 4th or 5th"...bad for the engine. Other bad things: warming up the car in park. The car needs to be moving for the oil to do its protective thing. Just give it it time when you're moving by not pushing the RPM's too high above 3 RPM unitl the oil temp needle at least at the 12 o'clock position.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

Lugging in the 60's meant you are in a gear wrong for the speed. Ok, your are in third gear at 15MPH, so the car is now lugging or bucking. Not good on the trans and the IMS.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

I understand that luging can be bad for German cars as well.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #10

Does anyone have a reference for proper shift rpms for each gear? I know there is a thread that references my question, but the manual I have (2001 Boxster) does not list proper rpms to shift. I find i can shift below 3k without lugging the engine. Especially around town, I very frequently drive below 3k, closer to 2k, and don't feel any lugging. Am I missing something here? I just want to make sure i am not doing damage and don't know
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Does anyone have a reference for proper shift rpms for each gear? I know there is a thread that references my question, but the manual I have (2001 Boxster) does not list proper rpms to shift. I find i can shift below 3k without lugging the engine. Especially around town, I very frequently drive below 3k, closer to 2k, and don't feel any lugging. Am I missing something here? I just want to make sure i am not doing damage and don't know

This is covered a bit in the factory manual..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #12

Why does this sound like rocket science???

You'll know when you're lugging the engine because it'll have a hard time accelerating even when you put your foot all the way down.

There's no proper shift rpm... other than the fact not to rev above 4000rpm when the engine is cold. You have to use something called common sense.

Incline/decline, how fast you drive, traffic flow will change your proper shift rpm ALWAYS.

Last edited by ekam; 06-18-2010 at 04:59 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #13

its not rocket science, but you see much conflicting info on it.....good to see that there are some stereotypical pdrivers still out there
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
its not rocket science, but you see much conflicting info on it.....good to see that there are some stereotypical pdrivers still out there
In the thread above, you wrote:
"when my car is cold especially, I shift below 2k rpms and never hear an irregular engine sound.....i dont watch rpm too much unless its at the max side, i just listen for the engine"

jacabean wrote:
"why would someone drive their car like that ?"

Lugging is bad for any engine, period. IMS or not has little to do with it. Drive it normally like you would drive any other other car. Shifting below 2k rpm is not normal unless you're stuck in stop and go traffic. There's just so much mass hysteria in this forum it's just not funny anymore.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #15

when all fluids are fully warm, i shift anywhere between 3-5000 rpm. When cold 3k max

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote