Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Undercarriage Protector Plate

Hi All,

I am not sure what this part is called, but there are plastic guards underneath my 99 Boxster that protect the undercarriage. The one furthest back (extends from the rear wheel wells forward about 2 feet) has broken and it is hanging down now touching the road.

This is bad....but I had to go McGyver on this and use duct-tape for the time being. lol

Anyhow, I need to replace this part and I don't even want to get a quote for it from the dealership. It seems to either bolt or clip to the side of the body underneath the car and I think that the clip has broken away.

Is there anyone in the Atlanta or North Georgia area that has one available? I would like to get this taken care of soon and bonus points if you could help me install it. I don't think it would be a big project, but this is the first Porsche I have ever owned, so I am getting used to doing the basics on it. Had it for about 6 months now and already dumped $1,300 on repairs.

I can offer money for the part and installation if you can do it, but I am on a budget.

Please help out a new Porsche owner if possible.

Thanks,

Adrian

***Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but I tried multiple times to post in the For Sale/Want to Buy section and it would not allow me.

I need more Cowbell!

Last edited by Yoadrian; 08-04-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The rearmost underbody panel is part number 5 in the diagram, and they charge $132 for a new one: http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/801-70-Frame3.htm

It is held on by way of plastic nuts that just screw onto threaded studs that stick out from below your car. If those studs broke off, you can actually use thick screws to attach the panel to the spot where the studs broke off.

To repair the panel, read these great instructions from Pedro's website: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Repair_Under-Panels.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 08-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm hoping that I can find someone on here who has an extra that they can sell to me on the cheap.

This place is great for support on my questions. Love it!

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoadrian
Thanks! I'm hoping that I can find someone on here who has an extra that they can sell to me on the cheap.

This place is great for support on my questions. Love it!
Just look at the link I posted in my edited reply above. You may be able to just repair it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Same thing happened to my car. I just bought a new one from the dealer for ~130 and had the mechanic install it as I don't have a lift or ramp.

My front one is falling apart too, these parts are flimsy.

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote