Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #1

Sticky ignition cylinder

My ignition cylinder is acting up - key hard to insert, doesn't want to spring back from the Start position, and doesn't re-set itself when I remove the key so the car thinks the key is still in (door chimes). Any suggestions before I head to the dealer and spend a fortune to have it replaced? ('03 Boxster). I've tried spraying some silicone into the cylinder - may have helped a little, but not nearly enough. Thanks.

buckstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

Common problem...

Save your $$$ and DIY R&R the electrical portion of the switch. Parts, even locally from an Audi dealer, should run less than $40. You can order online from ************************************************************ here for $8.65.

Directions for DIY replacement here

In the mean time, either disconnect the (-) lead on your battery if car will be sitting for some time as it will drain quickly. Or keep it on a maintainer until you replace.

Dealer will most likely want to replace the whole assembly and not just the switch which can be big time $$$.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #3

I read how to DIY and simply did not have the time nor the inclination to try and maneuver in there

Just had mine replaced by my independent @ $65.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote