986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   986 boxster died in heavy traffic (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25118)

carrott 06-12-2010 09:28 AM

986 boxster died in heavy traffic

can anyone give any pointers please. my boxster came to an abrupt halt today in traffic and ihad to push it out of traffics way!
i have recently had to recharge the battery several times after leaving the car several days without use. last night i recharged it with my ctek charger and set off in it today with no problems. then suddenly at a traffic island it died and i could not get it started. Initially the engine would turn over but only occasionally would it attempt to splutter into life and then die again. Is it possible that the battery had not got enough power to provide a spark to the plugs ? the engine checklist light has illuminated. the man from the aa tested the battery with his equipment and the reading was "replace battery" He said that he thought it might be fuel pump since the engine turned over but didnt fire up. could it be any other common fault on the boxster that explain the reason why. your help would be greatley appreciated
brian

extanker 06-12-2010 10:00 AM

if the old battery isnt dead put a scan tool on it and write down any codes. replace the batt then with scan tool check for crankshaft position sensor signal,fuel pump voltage etc

Bladecutter 06-12-2010 10:02 AM

First, you should replace the battery, since it sounds like it is on its last legs.

After that, you should take the car to a shop, and have the alternator tested, as it sounds like the battery is not getting recharged.

Then after that, you should have the code pulled, and have whatever that other problem is that has illuminated the check engine light.

BC.

pk2 06-13-2010 09:05 AM

Carrot,

Normally your car won’t die do to to a bad battery because once running, the alternator provides all the juice you need to run your car and then some.

If it turns or cranks over after dieing it has nothing to do with your battery.

Fuel pump can be tested, I don’t think it’s a common problem though. For a number of reason, your observations and my conclusions, good or dicey, I doubt your alternator or battery is causing It to die abruptly.

As everybody suggests and you have a CEL, get the codes.

Regards, PK

mikefocke 06-13-2010 09:56 AM

The alternator will keep it running only if

you keep the revs up. I once drove 50 miles in my impecunious youth with no battery in the car (burned up because I hadn't checked the level) till I could get home and get enough $ to buy a battery. Kept it about 2k at all stops which meant takeoffs were tricky. Drop below that and the engine gets no spark.

edbelton 06-13-2010 03:43 PM

As someone pointed out already, the car won't abruptly die due to a bad battery, the alternator is enought to keep it running, as a matter of fact, if you unplug the batt with the engine running, you won't notice a thing. If the alternator annunciator wasnt illuminated, then it isn't the alternator either. How about the ignition coil, or the anti-theft system, I dont know, it is just a guess. Good luck.