Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Looking after rear window

Hi All I have a 98 2.5 which has taken me a long time to get andi'm trying to smarten it up a little. What is the best way to look after the rear window both cleaning and when putting the hood down? The hood is in good condition and would like to keep it that way for a while as other items need investment. Thanks Andy

awi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #2

keep it garaged and out of the sun.
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

Garage
You must do "The Boxster chop" when putting your roof down, this is as follows:

Half way through the roof cycle (folding away) stop,get out of your car and push a crease into the centre of the plastic rear window so that when you continue with the folding away cycle the rear window has a nice fold in the middle

(when new these early cars came with a piece of soft cloth that was supposed to be put between this fold to stop the plastic to plastic rubbing)

Oh and keep the plastic clean!
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranlm
keep it garaged and out of the sun.
We both live in the UK, what is this "sun" stuff?
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #5

Novus Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by awi15
What is the best way to look after the rear window both cleaning and when putting the hood down?
For cleaning and restoration of the plastic rear window (cloudy, scratches etc...) I have found Novus polish to be a good product. It is a 3 step polish and cleaner that helps keep the plastic window flexible. I also have a '98 with the original plastic window and this has helped keep the plastic in very good shape.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

When I store the top down for extended periods of time I first clean the window and then place a piece of felt (cut to size) into the fold of the plastic window to keep it from getting scratched.

Hope this helps!

pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
We both live in the UK, what is this "sun" stuff?
I've never been to the UK, but thank you for reminding me! Yes, I guess you don't have to worry about the sun.
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #7

Rear Window

Put a rolled up bath towel in the fold of the window when you put the top down. This will make the window bend in a nice round curve, instead of a sharp fold. It will help prevent the dreaded cracked window at the fold. Since you don't have the sun to warm up the plastic, it is more prone to cracking because it is less flexable in the cold. I know it is a pain to get out and "throw in the towel" every time you put the top down, but is better than having to replace the window.
I store the towel in the space behind the roll bar and if you get one that matches the interior color, you can't even see it in there. The Sun doesn't come out very much here in Seattle also.
As far as caring for the plastic window, all I can say is, if you touch the window with anything, it will scratch it. The plastic is so soft, there is no way to you can do anything to it that won't leave some marks on it. The trick is to leave the least amount of damage and to repair and protect it afterwards. Never use paper towels to clean the plastic window and never use a circular motion when you do clean it.
Hear is what I do to clean and protect the rear window on my 2000 S.
I only clean the window when I wash the car. First, I hose off anything that will come off with the nozzle on the garden hose. Then I use a CLEAN sponge with soapy water to wipe any other debris off the window using a side to side "straight" line motion with gentle pressure on the sponge. Rinse it off with the hose and remove the excess water with a microfiber towel using the same straight line, side to side pattern. In fact, anytime you touch the window with anything, it should be with the same side to side, straight line motion, other wise it will leave swirl marks on the window.
I use the Porsche Polyglass Polish, with a soft cotton cloth, to remove any scratches in the window. Make sure you use the same straight line, side to side motion. The more accurately you are at maintaining the straight line motion, the better the window will look. I just started to use "Plexus Plastic Cleaner Protectant & Polish" to protect and restore the clearness to the plastic and I like it a lot. It does a good job of removing the last of the fine hazy lines from the surface. It is expensive, but you use such a small amount each time, I figure the can should last at least 10 - 15 years.
I have had a lot of people say that they didn't belive that the window of my car is ten years old. Most convertable top windows look like crap because the owners don't know how to maintain them properly. It is a lot of work, but it's the price you pay unless you have a newer car with the glass rear window.

Last edited by Spinnaker; 06-14-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
I know it is a pain to get out and "throw in the towel" every time you put the top down, but is better than having to replace the window.
That's what the wife is for, isn't it ??

kpm is offline   Reply With Quote