986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Aftermarket subwoofers behind the seats? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510)

socratic 04-16-2005 04:11 PM

Aftermarket subwoofers behind the seats?

Has anyone tried putting in a 12-in subwoofer behind the passenger's seat?

Something thin like this one from Pioneer that is less than 4-inches thick?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/article/0,,2076_3123_104401920,00.html

Brucelee 04-16-2005 06:18 PM

I think you should be the first!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers:

socratic 04-16-2005 06:35 PM

I would but I'm relatively new to Boxster ownership. Isn't the engine access via a panel behind the seats?

I was thinking of putting the sub very low down facing forward. I suspect I would have to build a custom box that's not too deep.

What is behind the wall at the base of the passenger seat? Could I even make things shallower and cut out a hole there and let the magnet sit in the area behind the wall? Or is that the actual engine compartment?

MLegere 04-16-2005 10:33 PM

Stick you sub in the right passanger footwell; near the door face it up towards the drive's seat you will enjoy it better.

socratic 04-18-2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLegere
Stick you sub in the right passanger footwell; near the door face it up towards the drive's seat you will enjoy it better.

Yes, but subs are omni directional so I think they can be anywhere. Most people don't need their seat pushed all the way back and so if they can do with say 5 less inches, then the space already there plus the 4 inches needed by the Pioneer should be good; and this won't interfere with front passenger foot room.

I'm just wondering if there is anything behind the wall behind the passenger seat such that, if necessary, I can cut into it for the magnet of the subwoofer.

ljd-924se 04-18-2005 07:53 AM

people have squeezed smaller diameter subs behind the seats; i believe these JL's are 8", but JL also makes a 6" midbass woofer.

Perfectlap 04-18-2005 08:42 AM

I think you look under Boxsters on the Cardomain.com site you'll see a yellow Boxster that has allot of money dumped into the audio. Try sending him an email, I'm sure he's tried allot of different set ups.
Those bass shakers that go under the seats are often used on roadsters. More for those who want to feel the Bass instead of hearing it.

Lux 04-18-2005 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socratic
Most people don't need their seat pushed all the way back and so if they can do with say 5 less inches, then the space already there plus the 4 inches needed by the Pioneer should be good; and this won't interfere with front passenger foot room.

Move the seat up 5"? You'd have to be 5'2 (or less) or you'd be driving grandma style with the steering wheel in your chest. And moving the seat up 5" equals losing that specific amount of foot room so you might as well move the seat all the way back and do the footwell sub. At least you'd have more options as to what brands to use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by socratic
I'm just wondering if there is anything behind the wall behind the passenger seat such that, if necessary, I can cut into it for the magnet of the subwoofer.

Uh...how about your engine is behind that wall? I would not recommend cutting into the firewall.

-

donv 04-18-2005 01:33 PM

Under the dash above the passenger foot well I think there is some space, at least in my 2001 (no glovebox). There is a flimsy filler panel covering that area, you may be able to wedge something up there. If it is truly omnidirectional, then this could be a great place - unless you end up with some nasty buzzing from shaking the dash assembly, etc. Would just need a grille over the sub to protect it from those oh-so-pointy fashionable shoes your lady passengers may wear (or cowboy boots, for equal billing). ;)

Pablito 04-18-2005 06:07 PM

Subs for Boxster

Under the dash is not a good idea, under that flimsy panel is the entire AC evaporator/blower assembly and it takes pretty much the entire space on the passenger side...Cutting thru the wall behind the seats it's not to hot either, the engine as is runs with very limited clearance and what you have back there is the belts and pulleys, trust me you wouldn't want to mess with that....The best option I am looking at is on the doors, if you remove the factory speakers and enclosures you have a good 4 to 4 1/2 inches of space between the grill and the door inner cover, you can fit 8" subs in each side all you need is a proper enclosure....

jpcolin 04-19-2005 04:35 AM

does someone have more info/pictures about these 2 JL audio behind the seats?
looks interesting!

thanks

ljd-924se 04-19-2005 05:23 PM

don't have any more info on the behind the seat subs, but the setup looks pretty straight forward, but as pablito was saying, 8" subs in the doors like this would work.

the owner of this car is "AlpharettaRK" on the rennlist.com, you can try e-mailing him though his rennlist account for more info. looks like a custom setup to me; any good installer could fab up something similar.

my only concern would be if the doors could handle such vibration without devoloping squeaks and rattles . . . especially with the subwoofer's weight being thrown around by closing the door too hard. the enclosure would have to be very sturdy.

ideally, i'd look at a quality 3-way component set up with the tweets and 4"s in the dash and the 6.5"s in the doors. and a couple of 8" subs behind the seats like the previous picture.

moreover, you can probably design boxes for an 8" sub that are situated lower and partially under the seat with the sub at more of an angle, whereas those flattened 12"s would be upright and probably interfere more with how far back the seat could go. i'd get in there and take some measurements if i had a boxster . . . soon enough. :D

Pablito 04-19-2005 05:57 PM

Nw That's what I'm talking about!!!! I had a similar set-up on a Miata and worked out nicely...since the speakers are so close to the hinge (door's pivot point) the effect of the door opening and closing are not as severe as if the were located close to the handle. I agree on the fact that the speakers need extra fasteners to avoid rattle and shake....other than that I bet he's having the punch needed....

CA_Boxster 04-20-2005 01:10 AM

I bought a powered sub in an enclosure that went about 7" deep and there's no way I could have put it behind the seat and had enough legroom (I'm 5'8"). I gave up. The best I've seen is the passenger footwell approach and a quality one (i.e., solid and mathching the car's interior as if it's meant to be there) can be had and installed with a good 7" or 8" sub for about $700. It takes less space than you'd think because it can be angled into the corner.

I think there would be room for a 4" setup behind my seat, though, as long as it doesn't have to be enclosed in anything deeper than that. I wouldn't mess with that access panel, but you may be able to fabricate some sort of bracket that will hold the sub in place without attaching it to the panel. You might be able to attach it to the floor somehow.

I know this is a moderately stupid idea, but you could possibly just shove it in the seat pocket. Yes, that takes away some of the sound, but a 12" sub in a little Boxster has enough to spare, and at those frequencies a little muffling won't kill it. At $100 a pop, just buy 2 :)

ljd-924se 04-20-2005 08:05 AM

here's a website for a company that specializes in these footwell enclosures for the boxster . . . Monney Car Audio . . . but rockford fosgate products? yikes!

i bet you could purchase a carpeted enclosure from them if you don't live in CA.

the setup looks less intrusive than i expected . . . this solution seems better than the doors, in my opinion, if you can't squeeze a sub behind the seat.

Morelli 04-20-2005 05:48 PM

A shop in downtown LA that I went to made a custom enclosure for a Boxster and put it in the passenger footwell. They installed an 8" Kicker Solo-Baric, and said it was the cleanest basss they have ever heard. That particular subwoofer is 900-watts. They said the the whole enclosure only took up 6" of passenger foot space. This is the set-up I will go with, but it'll be a couple of months before I do it...when I do, I will post pics and my impression.

socratic 04-23-2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljd-924se
here's a website for a company that specializes in these footwell enclosures for the boxster . . . Monney Car Audio . . . but rockford fosgate products? yikes!

i bet you could purchase a carpeted enclosure from them if you don't live in CA.

the setup looks less intrusive than i expected . . . this solution seems better than the doors, in my opinion, if you can't squeeze a sub behind the seat.

Wow. That looks clean and not very instrusive at all! Thanks for the info!