986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Entry (sitting down) question (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24919)

cadet62 05-26-2010 05:54 AM

Entry (sitting down) question

I just bought my 1st 986, I am 70 Years old. It is stick shift. Hate it that the steering wheel does not tilt; makes it very hard to get leg (knee) under steering wheel and foot past clutch when getting into the car. Any suggestions? :o

Keith Newby 05-26-2010 07:25 AM

You might try pulling the steering wheel out to its extended position which may give you the leg room you need. The adjusting lever's under the column.

blue2000s 05-26-2010 07:34 AM

You might try lowing the seat if you haven't already.

al83s 05-26-2010 01:36 PM

aftermarket steering wheel with quick release adapter. you will lose the airbag though

cvhs18472 05-26-2010 03:13 PM

70 years old and bought your first Boxster? My Hero!

cadet62 05-26-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Newby
You might try pulling the steering wheel out to its extended position which may give you the leg room you need. The adjusting lever's under the column.

This helped some. Will look into the take-off steering wheel, but---> :rolleyes:

Spinnaker 05-27-2010 12:59 AM

Had the same problem when I got my Boxster. If I sat in the seat and tried to swing my legs under the steering wheel, there wasn't enough room to do it without mashing my leg into the steering wheel. I finally figured out that if I stick my right leg in first and position it under the steering wheel, and then slide into the seat, I didn't have to contort my right leg to get in. Takes some practice to do it gracefully, but after a few tries it gets to be normal procedure for entry. I'm not 70 yet, but I hope to be driving my S when I do get there, if I can still get into it. :D

porsche666 05-27-2010 08:49 AM

" just bought my 1st 986, I am 70 Years old. It is stick shift. Hate it that the steering wheel does not tilt; makes it very hard to get leg (knee) under steering wheel and foot past clutch when getting into the car. Any suggestions?"

Yes..... trade it in on a Cadillac. They have more room for a wheelchair.

Perfectlap 05-27-2010 09:05 AM

whatever you don't buy my GT3 seats! Getting in and out of those makes the stock seats feel like getting off an extra wide Lazy-boy chair.

p.s.
70 is the new 50. Paul Newman was like 95 or something after his last race.

kpm 05-27-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
70 is the new 50. Paul Newman was like 95 or something after his last race.

84 actually.

Gilles 05-27-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadet62
I just bought my 1st 986, I am 70 Years old. It is stick shift. Hate it that the steering wheel does not tilt; makes it very hard to get leg (knee) under steering wheel and foot past clutch when getting into the car. Any suggestions? :o

Cadet,

My wife keeps asking when would I be getting a car with an automatic gearbox and I keep telling her "after I retire..."

However, reading your post makes me wonder what excuse I will give her once I do retire because I am NOT getting an automatic... ha!

Thank you for the inspiration and enjoy your new sport car..!

Regards,

Gilles

PS; Never grow old

porsche666 05-27-2010 11:38 AM

What's your aging plan genius?

Porsche Panamera. And thanks.. I am quite bright!

Perfectlap 05-27-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpm
84 actually.

yeah I was just exaggerating a bit. I know his car number was always his age on the day of the race. Probably the only celebrity whose autograph I would have asked for. Takes quiet a man to start a million dollar corporation and give every last dime to charity.

jcb986 05-27-2010 03:33 PM

Get some shorter legs... If really want to feel cramped, try a Crossfire. :cheers:

Tranlm 06-03-2010 09:13 AM

Wow! :eek: Could you be anymore of a jerk????

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche666
" just bought my 1st 986, I am 70 Years old. It is stick shift. Hate it that the steering wheel does not tilt; makes it very hard to get leg (knee) under steering wheel and foot past clutch when getting into the car. Any suggestions?"

Yes..... trade it in on a Cadillac. They have more room for a wheelchair.

Mark_T 06-03-2010 09:44 AM

Yeah, I thought that was pretty rude, too. Sorry about that Cadet - every forum has at least one, it seems.

Here's my method:
Raise seat, firmly grasp steering wheel, insert right leg, drop ass into seat, pull in left leg, lower seat, close door.

Mark

Lobo1186 06-04-2010 01:03 PM

hey cadet just wanted to touch base see how the ride is treating you! :cheers:

Doux 08-15-2010 05:14 PM

I am also new to the Porsche world, and I almost did not buy the car because I could not fit my legs in under the steering wheel. I had the same problem of getting in... being 6'4" made the folding of the legs a problem.
I did the "seat back and reclined with wheel out" bit - but no dice... Still I was way too tight to use the pedals.
Fortunately, I figured out that distance from my foot to the floor was the problem. I removed the Porsche floor mat (about 1/2 inch lost), and got rid my my thicker soled Nike Air boots (about 3/4 inch+), got a generic very thin rubber mat and custom velcro'ed that in and I got a pair of thin soled driving shoes (a recommendation from a helpful Porsche salesman). I fit just fine now!
Also, I am very happy for the gentleman getting a Porsche at 70 - better late than never.
In my case, I had a heart attack in June (four stents saved my life), and I felt that this was the very best time for me to buy a Porsche - best therapy to date!

Mark_T 08-15-2010 07:41 PM

+1 on the driving shoes. I've got a pair of Piloti Sebrings - very comfortable shoes and they definitely add to the experience.

kpm 08-16-2010 08:01 AM

I wear a 12 EEE work boot all day but have to change to a different shoe to drive the Boxster. The shoe of choice is a pair of Vans Checkerboards.

I do have a pair of Puma driving shoes from my SCCA days, I'll have to give them a shot.