Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Tachometer wire

I got my instrument panel removed, now I have to find the tach wire for the shifter light bar I bought. Does anyone know where would be the best place to tap into the wire. I also need a switch controlled power wire and ground wire. Any help would be appreciated. Bill

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #2

2001 boxster

Tachometer BLUE (AC) AT PCM MODULE UNDER RIGHT CENTER OF DASH
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Tach wire

Trey,

Thanks for the help, I got a return call from the dealer who sold me the unit. The white plug-in in the back of the instrument panel has a green and violet wire and that is it. I used the power from the flasher harness, a solid black wire and then grounded on a screw behind the instruement cluster. I got it all working and set, lights come on at apx. 3200 and shift light on at 6000. I could probably fine tune it a bit, but I think those numbers will be pretty good. I did a DE at Watkins glen last week and I was having trouble over reving. I ended up having my instructor yell at me when it was time to shift, there was just too much to look for to monitor the tach, at least for me. I am going to Mid Ohio in 2 weeks for a 3 dayer and that will be a nice test for the light system. I bought it from the Spec Boxster Racing guys from Cal., they were good to deal with. GoSpecRacing.com if anyone is interested Ask for Nick or Mike. The unit was a Ecliptech. Thanks, Bill
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Tach Wire

I saw tach wire and had to ask this question:

Okay, I have been already asking this question locally and no one has the answer. I guess I will ride around in my 1997 986 forever without the use of my tachometer.

Here's the story.

About a year ago I came home from overseas and picked up my Boxster stored in a heated garage for several years. The tachometer was working when I stored it and, you guessed it, now it is not working.

I spent over $200 to have the cluster checked and it is not the tachometer.

I had the guy at the Porsche place plug in the computer and the signal is registering as coming out of the module PCN?

For the love of Pete can anyone, I mean anyone, help me get this thing fixed without spending a young fortune? The guy at the Porsche place was not real helpful and did not offer much of any solution. Is there something that I can do?

Is it obvious that I am totally frustrated with this problem?

Can anyone offer me some good advice short of selling my car?

Frustrated.

williamzeller1997 is offline   Reply With Quote