Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Help please! How to remove the current distributor from car - fusible links

Hello,

I have problems with the fog light on my 2001 2.7 Boxster 986, no power to the relay. Also the low beam not working, dont know why yet.. so I now traced the curcuit to the current distributor and wanted to check all the fuses there. I loosen up the nuts that holds the current distributor from the battery side, then tried to move the distributor off in the passenger footwell.

But then I found the clearence between the current distributor and an air box too small? Can someone had taken the current distributor off please help me and tell me how you took it off? Thanks. Help please!!

mojosung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #2

Anyone can hlep???

Can anyone help me with my question???? Thanks in advance
mojosung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

If you haven’t already looked into the headlight light switch, you may want to look there it is known to wear out.

I would also recommend doing a search for faulty ignition switch problems as they are also known to go bad and when they do they will produce strange electrical gremlins.

I haven’t heard of any faulty current distributors on the forums other than one & it seems that was possibly a result of reversed polarity of the battery.
You should also be aware that there is only one rear fog light.

Headlight switch DIY
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/3131-ac-side-air-vent-removal/page__p__14785&#entry14785

Ignition switch DIY
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

If you’ve already looked into these then hopefully someone else will be able to steer you in right direction.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #4

The 'Current Distributor' is nothing more than what was once called Fusible Links. They are essentially heavy duty fuses which will melt if they receive a current spike of sufficient energy.

There is no need to remove the distributor, this is essentially a fusebox to hold the links. You can test each one for continuity by setting a DMM to continuity and simultaneously touch one lead (+/-) to each end of the link. If you do not have continuity on your DMM, you can use the resistance function (It uses the symbol omega - Ω to represent Ohms - units of electrical resistance). Again touch a lead to each end of the link and you should see zero or near zero ohms on the display. If you hear a tone, or get zero or near zero, the link is good.

I too think it's the headlight switch.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

I know this is an old thread but I ran across the answer while looking for something else in the service manual. The power distributor is on page 7 of the electrical portion of the manual found here

thericepatch is offline   Reply With Quote