Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Replacement Key

Just bought my 1st Porsche. Unfortunately it only has one key.

Where is the best place (cheapest) for a replacement?

masternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Garage
there is no cheap replacement. you may be able to find some on Ebay but you will still need to have them programed. all In all its a several hundred dollar ordeal.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #3

These guys pretty consistently have the lowest prices for OEM parts:

http://www.****************************************************.com/parts/

However, you're going to need to have your new key programmed (along with your old key) by the dealer anyway at a cost of $60-$100. If you just want a spare, you can buy the key without the remote control head, but it'll still need to be programmed. If it's a key you're going to use on a regular basis, I'd get the remote head. Not having it is a PITA.

When I needed a spare key w/remote head I contacted Sunset for a price and quickly came to the conclusion that there really wasn't much to be saved by going mail order in this case. The bottom line is you're going to be in for a painful $250-$300 total.

There will be times when you'll want or need to buy from the dealer. IMO it's good to throw the parts guy a bone once in a while, so when you're in a bind (someday you will be) he'll hopefully go the extra mile to help you out. Worked for me multiple times.

Join the Porsche Club if you haven't already. Many dealerships offer 10-15% off parts/labor for members. Based on experience the $60 membership fee will pay for itself quickly.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Make a habit of using the search feature before posting. There's a wealth of information here. Not too many questions that haven't been asked or problems that haven't been seen.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #4

Beware of eBay sellers who have key heads or old keys without the barcode tag attached for programming. No barcode = worthless waste of money.

+1 for Sunset Imports. I buy all my parts from them.

PS - I got no manuals and one beat up, nearly dead key for my car too. Let's both hope and pray your car is in better shape than mine was!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #5

Thanks all for the replies. Will put them my favorites for purchasing repair parts.

Sorry about not using the search function. I di on rennslist to figure out an issue earlier.

My car is in great condition...just needs an oil change and service.
masternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 AM   #6

Make sure you save the number on the remote when you get it replaced. If it dies later, you can get car reprogrammed again with the same key. If the code is lost then the remote will have to be replaced again.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #7

I agree, do not buy any keys, key blanks or remote heads off of eBay. Save them for the people who don't actually own a Porsche and are buying for the purpose of making people think they do (great to impress the women - ha!). That's about all they're worth.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

You should be able to get the key without remote for around $150 with remote around $250.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Garage
I have a key that works but the remote died. I might just need it programed due to replacing the battery. Case is kind of beat up but I have an extra key with remote that works.
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

Does the 987 remote work with 986?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote