Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #1

CEL 1530 Help

About a week ago a friend hooked up a OBD2 reader to my 99 2.5 just to see if there were any codes and saw a "pending 1530" code. Camshaft adjustment bank 1" I had no CEL at this time.

Just today the CEL came on and I suspect it's the 1530 code posting. I have researched and it seems to be a solonoid as the usual problem. My question is since the car seems to run fine and idles fine can damage be done by driving it like this? I really don't notice any issues when driving.

Thanks

chubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2

I think the majority of the members here would agree with me in saying that you'd be crazy to drive your car with a CEL.

My recommendation is to not drive it, get it checked, do some research on it, and come back here for feedback. Only after you're sure that driving won't harm the engine should you drive it.

But then again, you might have the 10K it costs to replace the engine. In that case, drive on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubert
About a week ago a friend hooked up a OBD2 reader to my 99 2.5 just to see if there were any codes and saw a "pending 1530" code. Camshaft adjustment bank 1" I had no CEL at this time.

Just today the CEL came on and I suspect it's the 1530 code posting. I have researched and it seems to be a solonoid as the usual problem. My question is since the car seems to run fine and idles fine can damage be done by driving it like this? I really don't notice any issues when driving.

Thanks
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

No I don't have the 10K for a new engine...

I have been doing some searches on it but it's tough to actually fix a car on the computer so I need some time to get to it.

Since the car seems to run perfect. Perfect smooth Idle, no misfire codes present, no stumble or noises. I wonder if the variocam is just not kicking in on the high end. I think I can assume the timing is not way out of whack.

If there are no misfires present how bad can it be??(real question)

It has fresh Syntec 5W40 with 1000 miles on it so I doubt it's dirty oil.

The only think I can think of is I removed my oil cap 2 weeks ago while the car was running to give a friend a reference who is working on his own CEL demons on his 99... It stumbled and sputtered when I did this. Maybe this started this issue.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

OK One more question here.

2 weeks ago for fun I used a friends code reader to see if there was anything in the computer even though I had NO CEL Ligit on. It said "pending P1530". (Camshaft adjustment bank1). I ignored it since there was no light on.

The CEL came on last week and I just read it today with the same code reader and it has a P1539 code. Same thing but "Bank 2" No other codes at all. Car seems to run perfect.

The original P1530 is no longer displayed on the reader also...

What is a common link between a 1530 and 1539? If it was an actuator or solenoid wouldn't the problem stay in "bank 1" or "bank 2"?

Thanks