Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Favorite Wheels

Of all the wheels out there, I like this company the best. I'd love to put these on my car someday, anyone know how bad the robbery would be for four of these bad boys?

http://www.wheelexperts.com/wheels/hre/line.html#seriescomp

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

HREs are not cheap. Many of the HRE wheels are well over $1000 EACH.

it is like buying jewelry for your car...

honestly, I think it's overkill for a boxster. when you factor in that many used 986's are worth $15k or so - you're talking about spending almost 50% of the cars full value just for wheels...

many of the OEM style wheels look GREAT on the boxster - and you can find them for a FRACTION of what you would pay for HREs.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC

it is like buying jewelry for your car...

honestly, I think it's overkill for a boxster. when you factor in that many used 986's are worth $15k or so - you're talking about spending almost 50% of the cars full value just for wheels...

many of the OEM style wheels look GREAT on the boxster - and you can find them for a FRACTION of what you would pay for HREs.

I agree with you on the value proposition to be awful, however, I have no children and you spend a long time in the Box and I am not talking vehicle. If a day comes when money flows as it once did, who knows? I can always dream of a wreck, in fact I saw a used set on a 996 online, no price of course.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #4

it says "forged centers"....does that mean cast alloy 'outers'? What's the point of that? If your spending big bucks on wheels they should be all forged like on a CC Wheel. Cast alloys are overpriced and will bend like a pepsi can if you knock them at just the wrong angle. They should also be light. Those HRE's say they are "weight optimized"...does that mean they don't weigh more than 20 pounds?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #5

There is someone selling a set of Kinesis K58 wheels in rennlist for $1600 that may be of interest.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/564167-parting-01-s-sony-litronics-calibre-k40-kinesis-techart-interior-cargo-box.html

Aron
Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Cast alloys are overpriced and will bend like a pepsi can if you knock them at just the wrong angle.
There are quality cast and cheap cast alloys, same with forging. If it's forged doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I bet there's already tons of fake forged wheels from China.

Last edited by ekam; 05-12-2010 at 09:27 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
My factory 18s are $750 each. Expensive? Yes, but I really like em.

Last edited by ekam; 05-12-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
There are quality cast and cheap cast alloys, same with forging. If it's forged doesn't necessarily mean it's better. I bet there's already tons of fake forged wheels from China.

Absolutely correct. There are many, many high-quality cast wheels available. There is a reason that manufacturing process is so popular.
I'll be getting a set of cast wheels in a year. Check out the OZ Alleggeritas.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Absolutely correct. There are many, many high-quality cast wheels available. There is a reason that manufacturing process is so popular.
I'll be getting a set of cast wheels in a year. Check out the OZ Alleggeritas.
OZ makes good stuff. They're super light, quality cast wheels. My friend had the Superleggeras and they're really light and most people are surprised they're cast.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
OZ makes good stuff. They're super light, quality cast wheels. My friend had the Superleggeras and they're really light and most people are surprised they're cast.
They're nice but around here every "SS bullet muffler, giant deck spoiler, fast and furious-mobile has them on".

To the other post of quality, I'm sure the HRE's are made well. I like these too, never heard of them though.

http://www.wheelexperts.com/wheels/vossen/line.html#VF063