Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #1

Satellite Radio Antenna Placement

Good morning folks,

I have a 2003 Boxster S in which I've recently installed a Kenwood DNX 8120. I presentely have the Navigation antenna placed under the plastic cover by the security light in the center of the dash. I plan to add Satellite radio to the unit and was trying to brainstorm as to the best place to install the satellite radio antenna.

I'd like the install to be as stealth as possible. I've read of some people installing the antenna under the plastic cowling which houses the winshield wipers. This type of installation certainly is stealth, but does it impact reception?

Any other cool ideas as to where this could be installed "out of sight" without compromising reception?

Also, can I install the antenna on the dash without impeding reception? If I were to go this route, how far away from the GPS antenna would I need to be?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

VJH

vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #2

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17474&highlight=antenna

I tried both spots (below windshield and front cowl)
reception is the equally good in both spots, and front cowl is MUUUUUUUCH easier to install
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

Awesome feedback! Thanks
vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #4

This is what I did, installing my XM antenna in front of the cluster.
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

It all depends on what the reception is like in your area. Nothing inside worked for me; neither did the area just in front of the firewall. I ended up mounting mine on the top of the clamshell, centred, and it doesn't look bad at all - no worse than the external antennae on new cars. The wire was an interesting problem with the clamshell going up and down, but a weight taped to the wire inside under the clamshell worked great.