Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Putting in 55w xenon blue white bulbs into stock light fixture?

Hi all

My low beam bulb on the left side popped last week so I bought some 55w Xenon White bulbs off ebay, not added them yet.

It's these: link here

The seller said there is no kit needed for the Boxster and they just replace the existing bulbs.

Has anybody tried these? Opinions?

Thanks
Anim
PS. I don't have the litronics upgrade done, these are standard Boxster lights.

Last edited by Anim; 01-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Anim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #2

Garage
well if you are asking for opinions... I would have to say those some crappy lookin bulbs... i hope you plan on getting something from autozone after.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Get some Narva or Osrum (sp) bulbs instead. Better bang for the buck and will last a lot longer than those. Just my Canadian 2 cents.

For proper advice, Google Daniel Stern Lighting for the best bulbs to get. I followed his instructions with my 2008 Edge with great results. I am a happy camper ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.

Last edited by Jaak; 01-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Hmm, I'd just go with something like Osram Silverstars . They won't last as long as standard bulbs, but the difference, if small, is noticeable.

The blue tinted bulbs you bought are more than likely on the lower end of the quality spectrum.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice. Will look into getting something a little more quality after i've tested these out.

Cheers
Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

Also looked up Daniel Stern Lighting and he says:
The H7 +50 bulbs from the big four reputable European bulb makers (Philips VisionPlus, Osram SilverStar, Narva RangePower+50, Tungsram Megalicht) are functionally identical. When we pick ten samples of each and put each one through photometric, optical comparator and life tests, there's a very narrow range of performance and life differences, and those differences are randomized among the four brands.
So, more than likely get the Osram.

Thanks again
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Wink

I like the Narva a bit better ... read cheaper on this side of the pond ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

If you're gonna put in those gay blue bulbs, get yourself a big can exhaust tip and some guages going up the A pillars with a phoney fire extinguisher mounted on the dash.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #9

LOL

I like the fake fire extinguisher idea that would look a treat next to my Burberry dash trim kit.

From what I understand the "blue" isn't to create blue light, it is to remove yellow light which results in a white light beam. Which I would prefer over a yellow beam regardless of its gayness.

BUT if it creates that blinding almost high beam look that has me screaming at other drivers than I will pull em, don't want that.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #10

You're right in the theory, but I believe the ones you talked about are those gay looking, actually blue, ricer lights. The others listed, like the Narva, I believe, are blue temperature range bulbs. There is a difference.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim
LOL
BUT if it creates that blinding almost high beam look that has me screaming at other drivers than I will pull em, don't want that.
That look is caused by people who put drop-in HID kits (real HIDs - complete with ballasts etc.) in housings that were not designed for anything but halogens. These people suck. Ultra high wattage halogens can do this as well... back in the late 90s, I had 100 watt green tinted relayed 9004s in my GTI. Those were blinding, but I was an idiot in high school.

Hell, a lot of stock cars with poorly designed non auto-leveling HID projectors do that around here. I'm not sure about the UK, but if I recall correctly, some countries require auto-leveling systems on HID equipped cars. The Boxster has this setup, as did my old IS300. It really makes a difference.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #12

They are meant to be 5600 Kelvin Xenon which is the best point between the warm/cool scale for a natural daylight tint.

See here for examples:

http://www.delonixradar.com.au/hid-xenon/colour-chart.php

So I hope they are not blue. Time will tell on the weekend
Old 01-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
That look is caused by people who put drop-in HID kits (real HIDs - complete with ballasts etc.) i
That's good to know, I won't put that on my list then :-)

Cheers
Anim
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #14

Well, keep us informed!! My DD has HID lights, also, but wifey's Civic and daughter's Prelude do not, and both could use better lights, when you're used to seeing thru HID's! As a matter of fact, both are also nearing needing another refinish of the headlight housings.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #15

On the left, a Philips H7 'Extreme' +70% Halogen lamp - one of the best conventional bulbs you can get.

On the right, a 50W (35W is standard) 5000K H7 HID:

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #16

Hey, I can see the cat in the washing machine!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #17

Well I put the blue bulbs in...........and they produce a very mid white light, no blue or cool tint at all, well, not to my vision anyway.

This morning is very foggy and I noticed that the low beams point straight out (not down) and if anything I would say the near side points up about 5 degrees from the horizontal.

It looked kinda odd, the tech manual isn't here so can anybody else tell me what is normal?

Ta
Anim
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #18

I installed a set of those HID retrofits everybody hates and am perfectly happy with it. See this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21859&highlight=HID+6000k
The light pattern have not changed at all, just look at the pictures (Driver side is supposed to be aimed lowed by US regulations). But the night visibility improved drammatically...not bad for $150.
No tickets or light falshed at me yet. My only complaint is the occasional battery light that comes on when you turn the key almost same time as turning on headlights, but it goes away after pushing spoiler button (Dont ask me how that is related, or how I even found it)
My guess is that blinding light is from the missadjusted headlight, or people who install the more powerfull off-road kit and drive it on the streets.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by al83s; 02-04-2010 at 08:40 AM.
al83s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #19

FWIW - I installed a set of the sylvania silverstars...and I can't say I really noticed much difference at all. the ones I bought were the "better" ones that were supposed to be more pure white or whatever they call it... to me, they do NOT look like litronics/HIDs at all.

both of my Acuras have true xenon lights, which look more bluish white....compared to the more yellow look of halogens... the silverstars I put in look like halogens to me...

if I were you, and your bulb burned out, why not put in something good...but honestly, if you want to get that "xenon" look..just get litronics. not cheap..but if you're going to do it, do it right.

if you want to get some "bluish" look in there - you could change out the running light that is inside the headlight assembly with a blue / hyper white LED...

I would recommend a hyper white LED style light for the license plate lights. I put a set of LEDs in my license plate light..and I really like how that looks. at night, from the rear, the light looks much brighter, whiter, cleaner. it looks nice. It makes the car look "newer"..that's the description I got from some "non car people" who I showed it to..

the LEDs for the license plate are not that expensive....

i also bought some for the doors and the dome light. they don't look "blue" they look like pure white instead of the yellowish color from the OEM bulbs.

I'd avoid true "colored" bulbs as, honestly, that doesn't "fit" on a car like a Porsche. the LEDs that are hyper white may be described by some people to have a "bluish" tint, but really they are a truer white and the lack of all teh yellow makes them seem bluish..but they don't look "blue/purple" like hte ricer lights.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.

Last edited by 23109VC; 02-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #20

Drove back home about 90 miles Wednesday night and every time I drive at night with Porsche's Litronics I am more impressed.
I've had three DDs in a row with HID, but they have all been HID low beam with Halogen high beam. What a difference!! Can you say daylight in front of the car??
The other major difference I see with HID Lights, on low beam, is they cut through fog and rain much better, in that they don't seem to reflect back into my eyes near as much as halogens. Here in N. Florida, we have quite a few misty and light fog mornings and I can see much better with HID lights.
IMHO