986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   IPD Plenum+75mm TB +Intake=CEL and spuddering (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24717)

Stunin_Stud 05-07-2010 10:38 PM

IPD Plenum+75mm TB +Intake=CEL and spuddering

I installed the IPD Plenum with its silicone hoses and the larger 75mm Cayman 3.4L throttle body which is needed to make the plenum work. I also installed an intake but changed out its oiled filter with a dry cone filter from Ingen.

I had to break the factory airbox to install the intake. After checking all the hoses for the plenum and throttle body I started the car can the engine was spuddering. NO CEL. I was told that the computer would adapt to it after some driving so i drove it a little and got a CEL after 6miles. The engine was still spuddering sounding like an air cooled porsche or a muscle car. I tried everything to look for a leak or re tighten the hoses. The engine still spudders. I reset the computer and I still get a CEL after a few miles. I ran a diagnostic and got MAF, misfire in cylinder 4 and 6.

any idea what this is? Im thinking just changing the Mass Air Flow sensor. But mine was not touched or damaged so i dont know whats wrong.

what do you guys think?

eightsandaces 05-08-2010 04:18 AM

Is it possible you damaged the MAF while performing the work? Just a guess here but if you broke the box up without removing the MAF there is a chance the fragile wire that it deploys was damaged by vibration. I would try cleaning the MAF.

JAAY 05-08-2010 05:42 AM

You probably wont believe me. :) Take it all out and put it all back in again. I bet you have a leak in the system. If there is any air getting in after the maf the car will act like this. I speak from messing this up a few billion times on my own car. Especially check the center big rubber links they look on and feel good all the time but they might not be set on correctly.

J

Topless 05-08-2010 07:14 AM

Unplug the MAF and drive the car. If it runs better, replace the MAF. If it still runs lousy, you have a big ol' intake air leak as JAAY suggested.

Cloudsurfer 05-08-2010 10:37 AM

Absolutely agree on the unplug the MAF and see if that improves things idea. The car's DME uses the MAF's values to gauge engine load, and thus lookup appropriate values for fuel and ignition tables. It goes without saying that any air leak after the MAF will cause the mixture to run lean due to the added air that was not metered, and thus the lack of fuel to maintain the proper mixture.

I would agree that you either have a bad MAF or an air leak.

OJwerks 05-10-2010 09:18 PM

if you dont mind me asking, where did you source the IPD Plenum and how much?? Same goes for the throttle body... will this work on the 2.5L ?? Thanks!

Stunin_Stud 05-10-2010 09:23 PM

I got the Plenum from RSS in southern california. You need a cayman 3.4L Throttle body to make it work. It comes with silicone hoses and clamps. The TB was about $230 and the Plenum about 800.

I still dont know what is wrong. I seem to be the only one experiencing these problems.I had someone install this who has installed this before with no problem. I checked and there is no air leaks. Im showing MAF code and Misfire in cylinder 4 and 6. after disconnecting the battery it gets better for about 40 min or 10 miles then engine starts spuddering and CEL comes on. I just hope my cats dont get damaged.
When you rev it and let go the car makes a weird whining noise kinda like a weed wacker when the rev is falling.

Topless 05-10-2010 09:35 PM

Read out all your error codes and list them here, maybe we can help to narrow the possibilities. Did you unplug the MAF? Error codes on one bank only? Is it running lean on the bank with misfires?

eightsandaces 05-11-2010 06:53 AM

Just my 2 cents... If anyone is seeking a performance enhancement to the 2.5, I highly reccomend the underpulley. It's inexpensive when contrasted against a mod like this and truly makes a difference in how the car accelerates.

DamageINC123 05-12-2010 11:35 AM

Under Pulley

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Just my 2 cents... If anyone is seeking a performance enhancement to the 2.5, I highly reccomend the underpulley. It's inexpensive when contrasted against a mod like this and truly makes a difference in how the car accelerates.

If i was interested where would I begin to look for one?

Cartel 05-12-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamageINC123

Road Sport Supply, which I am currently running and in the near future I will run their dampened pulley for my vehicle. Another point of interest is BBI Autosport (Johnny Danger installed this pulley as a point of reference).

Cartel 05-12-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY
You probably wont believe me. :) Take it all out and put it all back in again. I bet you have a leak in the system. If there is any air getting in after the maf the car will act like this. I speak from messing this up a few billion times on my own car. Especially check the center big rubber links they look on and feel good all the time but they might not be set on correctly.

J

Upon the completion of the installation on said modifications to my vehicle, there was a vacuum leak that in which idled my vehicle between 2-3K RPM's. I did not drive the vehicle until they went back in and found the leak. After that, the rest was history and was swell.

/e No CEL's for my vehicle.

yimmy149 05-12-2010 02:29 PM

The whining noise you hear might be the free-wheel on the alternator pulley if your car is equipped with one. Mine made a squealing noise that was very noticeable with the engine cover off. Replaced it and it stopped.

Stunin_Stud 05-12-2010 03:02 PM

the idle is normal. I just hear the engine not running smoothly. I cant find a leak anywhere. Im gonna run the diagnostic this weekend and post the codes.

eightsandaces 05-12-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamageINC123

Mine came from here, very pleased with the result and quality of the piece.

http://www.stuttgartperformance.com/

chaudanova 06-30-2010 06:22 PM

Did this issue ever get resolved?