986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Warranty thoughts (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24713)

my1999boxster 05-07-2010 03:51 PM

Warranty thoughts

This has probably been discussed before, and I reached out to some individual members of the forum based on postings I've read. I've done some research and am thinking of getting a warranty for my 1999 Boxster with 99,800 miles. I'm thinking about going with this option http://www.autoprotection.com/used/. I'm waiting to get the price quote from them, it apparently takes about 24 hours once they get my VIN#. Any thoughts on what is covered? Does it look to be missing anything major?

Has anyone purchased a warranty and had to use it? If so, can you let me know what you went with and your experience with the warranty company?

mikefocke 05-07-2010 04:49 PM

This company is a marketing

company, not one that offers the insurance. They just gather your info and pass it off to companies that may want your business.

The items covered list on the web site is pure marketing and has no legal value. So you can't tell anything about the actual contract or the soundness of the company that is supposed to pay when you want them to.

I'm amazed at anyone who would offer a warranty on an 11 year old car with ~100k miles already on it. I wouldn't except at a cost that would be prohibitive or in a way where I collected up front from the customers and then expected to go out of business after paying my executives a lot of money...which is the business model of a lot of the used car warranty companies.

Watch out for a clause that says if the repair is more than x percent of the value of the car, they have an option to not do the repair.

The Radium King 06-03-2010 08:28 AM

hey - i just went to post on the same topic and found your thread. i'm thinking the same thing, and found the same vendor.

looking to put a 3.4 in my 2000 S, but not until i have the $$$ or am forced to by a dead engine. wondering what insurance options there are out there in the case that the engine does grenade on me. i often see references to folks replacing engines on warranty, and many of these must be on some form of third party warranty, so i assume that there is some positive experience out there ...

Hawke 06-03-2010 11:47 PM

I've spent the last 25 years in the Insurance business.

I've never seen a car warrenty policy that was worth while. Most pay huge commissions to dealers and or marketing companies, relativly low limits on maximuim payouts, exclude damage or loss due to wear and tear and often have restrictions on servicing. They are very profitable to dealers and underwriterers (carriers in US speak), not so for insureds.

Perhaps there is a decent one out there, but I've never seen one.

porsche666 06-04-2010 07:04 AM

"1999 Boxster with 99,800 miles"

You car is 11 years old and has 100k - how long do you think this engine will last?

landrovered 06-04-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche666
"1999 Boxster with 99,800 miles"

You car is 11 years old and has 100k - how long do you think this engine will last?

You are trying so hard to be controversial in every post, like we have never seen a troll before. Hopefully you will just get bored after we ignore you for a while.

The least you could do it to try to be creative in expressing your disdain for all things Porsche, but instead you are just a small minded chimp throwing poo.

I will not acknowledge you ever again on this forum.

ChrisZang 06-04-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered
You are trying so hard to be controversial in every post, like we have never seen a troll before. Hopefully you will just get bored after we ignore you for a while.

The least you could do it to try to be creative in expressing your disdain for all things Porsche, but instead you are just a small minded chimp throwing poo.

I will not acknowledge you ever again on this forum.

+1 on that!

ChrisZang 06-04-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawke
I've spent the last 25 years in the Insurance business.

I've never seen a car warrenty policy that was worth while. Most pay huge commissions to dealers and or marketing companies, relativly low limits on maximuim payouts, exclude damage or loss due to wear and tear and often have restrictions on servicing. They are very profitable to dealers and underwriterers (carriers in US speak), not so for insureds.

Perhaps there is a decent one out there, but I've never seen one.

Guess I am the lucky one then:
Got an extended warranty from warranty direct ~$2.5k
So far they paid for:
- CV boots ~$500 (no problem)
- RMS ~$1k (no problem)
- IMS failure (new engine) ~ $14k (after two months of haggling with them)

So I am currently about $13k ahead :D

mikefocke 06-04-2010 07:59 AM

Glad you made out Chris

All the offers I've received from Warranty Direct have been well above that figure.

Glad they are still paying. Though I've heard through a friend of a situation where it took almost a year and arbitration before they settled on a cooked engine.

ChrisZang 06-04-2010 08:44 AM

Yes, I guess I got lucky and I got even more lucky as the owner of the independent shop (Don's Autowerks in Cambell, CA) who diagnosed the IMS failure was willing to take on the fight on my behalf and Warranty Direct finally caved in after more than 2 months. But I also had ALL maintenance records did oil changes every 5000 miles and the IMS failure was diagnosed in it's early stages (Checking the oil filter for shrapnel) so WD couldn't use any of the usual excuses.

But I agree I would not derive a general statement from this that Warranty Direct is better than the others

gschotland 06-04-2010 10:05 AM

Let's terminate the thread and see if this TW (time waster) can come up with something a little more creative, controversial and thought provoking. Wake me up when it happens...