986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foamy coffee colored coolant in tank (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24696)

cdnboxster 05-06-2010 12:11 PM

Foamy coffee colored coolant in tank

I take Im looking at a head gasket issue? It started off with just a slow loss of coolant..then proceeded to have oil residue in coolant tank..now I think I have coolant in oil and vice versa :(

Temp gauge has never over heated during this, but I have added coolant as I go.. and it drives fine..

Sound right?

What r my options? can I drive it to the dealer / shop about 60 mi, or should I tow it in?

Stroked & Blown 05-06-2010 12:26 PM

Sounds like a head gasket to me. I've had PLENTY of those on my supercharged Jeep. Cometic gaskets were the cure, but probably overkill for an NA boxster.

cdnboxster 05-06-2010 12:32 PM

Sorry - whats NA ??

extanker 05-06-2010 12:39 PM

does the car have an oil cooler *

jmatta 05-06-2010 12:57 PM

NA=Normally Aspirated (no forced induction)

All M96 engines have an oil/coolant heat exchanger mounted to the top of the engine. Yours may have failed leading to intermix. Perhaps someone more technical than I can chime in on this component.

SeanZ4 05-06-2010 01:51 PM

+1 on the heat exchanger

Do a search on it and hopefully that's what it is :o

sean

Tranlm 05-06-2010 02:47 PM

The two most common issues there are the heat exchanger (a device that runs both coolant and the oil through it in separate chambers to get the heat out of the oil) or the RMS that's out.

My money would be on the heat exchanger.

cdnboxster 05-06-2010 03:39 PM

Man I hope its that oil cooler thing.. Im just not usually that lucky! Thx

roadracer311 05-06-2010 08:43 PM

I've also seen one example posted, where a freeze plug in the camshaft area popped out and let coolant into the oil.

Cloudsurfer 05-06-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranlm
The two most common issues there are the heat exchanger (a device that runs both coolant and the oil through it in separate chambers to get the heat out of the oil) or the RMS that's out.

My money would be on the heat exchanger.

RMS causes oil leak at the bellhousing, NOT into the coolant.

I would absolutely pull and test/ swap out the heat exchanger to rule out a simple fix. If not, it's likely a head gasket or porosity issue in a case half or head (possibly a head crack).

If anything but a heat exchanger problem, the motor will have to come out and at least the heads pulled. Have the heads pressure checked, preferably, with the heads at operating temp. Check for surface trueness of both the case and the head and grind accordingly.

As far the gasket of choice, Cometic gaskets are MLS (multi layer steel), as are the factory gaskets (and about 90% of all new cars), so there's no need to go aftermarket.

cdnboxster 05-07-2010 01:01 PM

Thanks folks..now where would I get this part..would it be listed under cooling system or engine systems?? I cant find anything called a heat exchanger..

Boxtaboy 05-07-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnboxster
Thanks folks..now where would I get this part..would it be listed under cooling system or engine systems?? I cant find anything called a heat exchanger..

The heat exhanger is the oil cooler. Here...it is part #20 in this link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/104-00-Frame3.htm

Cloudsurfer 05-08-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
The heat exhanger is the oil cooler. Here...it is part #20 in this link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/104-00-Frame3.htm

Correct. I would also order the larger "S" cooler, if your car is a base.

Dar01 05-08-2010 12:29 PM

Better price

same part is $159 here:

JPamporschejaguarparts.com/

just leave the "m100" number off when you do the parts search.....

Not affiliated, just bought many things here....great prices!

cdnboxster 06-07-2010 10:37 AM

changed out the cooler...

Seems like there is no coolant getting in the oil(changed it twice)...flushed the cooling system but there is still oil??? is it residue or am I looking at another spot for the leack i.e. head gasket? thoughts and opinoins?

jcb986 06-07-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdnboxster
Seems like there is no coolant getting in the oil(changed it twice)...flushed the cooling system but there is still oil??? is it residue or am I looking at another spot for the leack i.e. head gasket? thoughts and opinoins?

It is very unusal to have a head gasket problem. I also believe it is the oil/heat exchanger. The person who needs to chime on your problem is Jake Rabby. Or you can look him up and email him your problem.