Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Hard Landing

The other night I flew over a railroad crossing quicker and harder than I planned. It looks like my 2 front rims are dented and tires have gashes but still holding air, not other scrapes or visible damage, except under front bumper. Is there anything else I should look at? The engine seems to be well protected form this, but with the tight tolerances and bearing tending to let go, could this type of jolt to the car effect the engine? Just looking for some reassurance- pissed at myself

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

Low profile tires make bending rims easy but it sounds like you were flying with the tire gash additional damage. I don't know where in NY you are but Keystone wheel repair over the border in PA is excellent at rim rejuvenation. If you are going to remove the wheels, I'd check the suspension pieces for damage, after repair I would spring for an allignment, all in all an expensive slow down lesson for sure.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Air scoops under the car...2 of them.

Chin whiskers under front bumper, flaps in front of front wheels, general inspection and measurement of suspension by an expert. Look at the oil pan.

How do I know...let me count the speed bumps. and I need 6 of those pieces myself.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

the car still drives straight, and no other noticeable damage- I think the tires/rims absorbed most of the impact- since it's front only I think the rear is ok- a little bit of wheel vibe but I think that's due to the rims- the are modular chrome rims
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

Get it aligned.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote