986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   RPMs/Speed when you switch gears (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24674)

my1999boxster 05-05-2010 06:33 AM

RPMs/Speed when you switch gears

I have a 1999 Boxster, and this question is more out of curiosity.

At what speed or RPM level do you switch gears?

I seem to never get about 3000 RPMs. I shift gears right about 2800 or 2900. Is this normal?

extanker 05-05-2010 06:45 AM

the fun level goes up once ya pass 6 grand (

Mike_Yi 05-05-2010 07:14 AM

Sorry to thread crap, but this is a pet peeve of mine. RPM stands for "Revolutions Per Minute." RPMs stands for "Revolutions Per Minutes" which is pretty meaningless.

If I'm in fuel conservation mode, I usually shift right at 2100. That puts me at about 1600 after the shift. On the track, I shift at redline or a bit above. Normally, I shift where it feels right. Depends on the situation, but I generally don't look at the tach.

ekam 05-05-2010 07:17 AM

If you shift at 2100 you're almost lugging the engine on the next gear...

Gary H 05-05-2010 11:46 AM

If you shift at 2100, why bother with a Porsche at all?!

3.5-4k if I'm feeling lazy, 4-5.5K if I'm in a hurry, 6.5K if I'm really in a hurry or on a track.

Perfectlap 05-05-2010 11:54 AM

short shifting (below 3K) doesn't seem like it saves so much gas and causes potential problems if the egnine is constantly running at those low rpms.
With these engines the oil can do its job better above 3K.
Doesnt the manual tell you how to shift? Not that I ever read that thing.

Lobo1186 05-05-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Sorry to thread crap, but this is a pet peeve of mine. RPM stands for "Revolutions Per Minute." RPMs stands for "Revolutions Per Minutes" which is pretty meaningless.

If I'm in fuel conservation mode, I usually shift right at 2100. That puts me at about 1600 after the shift. On the track, I shift at redline or a bit above. Normally, I shift where it feels right. Depends on the situation, but I generally don't look at the tach.

interesting... so how do you denote 1 RPM? seeing as you would not have agreement if the R stands for Revolutions. (note ending in s)

is it 1 R-sPM? (if in fact a small s does denote the plural of the word imediately before as you insinuate in your post)

then it should be RsPM? but if you say that it is not the case then the OP saying RPMs would be correct since it would be the same as (RPM)s making it plural of more than one Rotation Per Minute...

(im just ****************ing around btw thought its a funny concept. no harm meant) :dance:

yimmy149 05-05-2010 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the manual says to keep the engine under 4k RPM during the first 5 minutes of driving. And it also states do not lug the engine, but I don't think it defines lugging precisely.

I try to keep in the 2000-3500 for the first 10 minutes, then I try to keep it over 2500 RPM.

boxster6354 05-05-2010 02:16 PM

Just trying to keep it up, bored at the moment :D

Revolutions per minute (abbreviated rpm, RPM, r/min, or r·min−1) is a unit of frequency of rotation: the number of full rotations completed in one minute around a fixed axis. It is used as a measure of rotational speed of a mechanical component.
Standards organizations generally recommend the symbol r/min, which is more consistent with the general use of unit symbols. This is not enforced as an international standard. In French for example, tr/mn (tours par minute) is commonly used, and the German unit reads U/min (Umdrehungen pro Minute) or 1/min (= 1 min-1).
The corresponding unit in the International System of Units (SI) is hertz (symbol Hz) or s-1 (1/second). Revolutions per minute is converted to hertz through division by 60. Conversion from hertz to rpm is by multiplication by 60.
1 rpm = 1/min = 1/(60s) = 1/60 Hertz ≈ 0.01667 Hz
Another related unit is the SI unit for angular velocity, radian per second (rad·s−1):
1 rpm = 2π****rad·min−1 = 2π/60 rad·s−1 ≈ 0.10471976 rad·s−1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186
interesting... so how do you denote 1 RPM? seeing as you would not have agreement if the R stands for Revolutions. (note ending in s)

is it 1 R-sPM? (if in fact a small s does denote the plural of the word imediately before as you insinuate in your post)

then it should be RsPM? but if you say that it is not the case then the OP saying RPMs would be correct since it would be the same as (RPM)s making it plural of more than one Rotation Per Minute...

(im just ****************ing around btw thought its a funny concept. no harm meant) :dance: