Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Check out my new mods

Hey Guys,

Added a couple of new mods to my boxster.

1.New shift knob and boot I got off of Ebay. I actually really like the look of it and the fact that it came with the alumilook u-bend trim was an added plus. It's prewired to illuminate the shift diagram but I decided not to hook it up since amber was not a color option.

here's the ebay link

2.JVC KD-AVX77 single din 5 inch DVD touch screen with integrated iPod/iPhone, Serious/XM/Bluetooth and HD radio. Rear view camera on it's way. Love it! Got it from Crutchfield with the Boxster wiring harness for around $450 and installed it myself. Also installed the parking brake disable switch I got from EBay so you can play DVDs while moving. I have no intention of watching movies while I drive but I hate the restriction and sometimes on trip I like to listen to movies, kinda like audio books. The screen has a proximity sensor option so the screen goes black and only illuminates when your finger gets close to it.

Someone had commented in an earlier post (when I was contemplating this stereo) that the whole touch screen is a dangerous option. The opinion was that fiddling with the touchscreen would be a big distraction. It's quite the opposite. The unit allows you to touch anywhere in the screen and perform a dialing motion with your fingertip to turn the volume up or down. To change tracks or a radio station you touch and flick left or right. IMO is way less cumbersome that the Beckers little buttons.

I also ordered a metallic porsche logo set meant for model kits to put the small Porsche logo in the upper left. I love the look of the unit, clean and simple.

oh yeah and I finally finally ordered new headlights without the amber! Woot!

Pictures of new stereo and shift knob/boot... let me know what you think! :dance:

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

veeeery nice! I don't see too many aftermarket heads that make me wanna upgrade, but that is one slick unit that looks great! oh, and nice shift boot, too!!
jboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #3

I'm loving both mods. When either my shift knob wears out or I find the cash for the stereo upgrade, I'm going for it. I don't have bluetooth right now nor do I have iPod integration and it's a pain in the butt.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

I agree, the becker is on it's last legs in mine. I need to put aside the money for a decent double din conversion.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Awesome mods...they really look great.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #6

I really like the shifter
It looks great on the pics
How does it look and feel in real life?
Is the leather nice?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Yeah the leather is good. I was actually very surprised by the quality of it. It's a bit heavier than the standard shift but not enough to really care. I love the feel of it, more than the OEM shift knob. Couldn't be happier.

The only hitch I ran into is that I had to saw in half the little headless screws that clamp onto the shift post. They were too long and after I tightened the knob down they were protruding too far out and I couldn't slip the boot over them. A bit of a PITA but overcome.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #8

Just remember to tell the police that you where distracted by beautiful woman when he pulls you over. And, be sure he doesn't see the movie playing on your radio.

FYI. we had a young lady making a phone call and ran through a light on a major road going to a local University. She hit and killed 2 young children while their parents where pushing them in their stroller. What hell that must have been for them. And, the young lady said she wasn't on her phone...but an I witness said other. The police checked her cell record at the time of impact...she was on the phone. Her dad was some big shoot lawyer from the state capital. :ah:

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Love the shifter, that really looks great!

Thanks for the link to the supplier too, I'm thinking about what excuse I could tell the wife so I can buy one too...
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Both the shifter and the stereo look great! I like the single din screen also. I looked at getting a double din recently but, I removed one of my cupholders and integrated my V1 conceal display where the cup holder would be. I need a new stereo because I despise the CDR220, such a crappy stereo. I'll have to look into that model of head unit, it looks more factory and less ricey like so many head units now days. I don't like the rainbow of colors they put in most of the new decks, looks cheap.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

Silver badge

Love the Silver and Black emblem. I have a Black on Black S with special package that has all silver and black emblems in the shifter and steering wheel but the old gold emblem on the hood. Would love to find one of these silver badges you have.

Best,
Don Wilson
cut2muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The DVD system is sweet! I put in a 987 shift knob myself...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Just remember to tell the police that you where distracted by beautiful woman when he pulls you over. And, be sure he doesn't see the movie playing on your radio.

FYI. we had a young lady making a phone call and ran through a light on a major road going to a local University. She hit and killed 2 young children while their parents where pushing them in their stroller. What hell that must have been for them. And, the young lady said she wasn't on her phone...but an I witness said other. The police checked her cell record at the time of impact...she was on the phone. Her dad was some big shoot lawyer from the state capital. :ah:

I remember that I saw where it had happened. sad stuff. just saw some lady yesterday driving like a maniac... on the phone to boot.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #14

Tim: I love your interior. I was looking at replacement shifters and boots when I saw your post a couple of weeks ago, and since you gave it high marks I ordered the one you linked to. Got it last Friday and installed it. Not much of a chore except getting the oem knob off. Damm near killed myself trying to pull that thing off. whew. BUT...the new one looks great...exactly like yours in fact. I see you lowered the knob on the shift lever. So did I...instant short sifter!!!. Oh...and I solved the set screw issue by drilling two countersink holes about half way through the shaft. Just another solution. Either way would obviously work just fine! (I think they're so long because they're designed to go into that notch in the top of the shift lever. Problem is, if you install it there, the knob sits quite a bit higher than the oem one, which makes the throw wayyyyy long)

Thanks a lot for the reference!

I hope you don't mind, but since I have a lot of left over paint from doing my door pulls, I think my next project is to do the batwing and ac control surround...like yours. I really like that look. Seems like I'm getting a lot of ideas from you!

Bob

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote