Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Left rear parking light not working on 1998 Boxster

My OEM left rear running light wouldn't work. I replaced all the bulbs and it still didn't help. I went to a European garage and they took a look and said the board was melted where the bulbs plug in. Rather than replacing the OEM board, I just got some aftermarket smoked rear lights to replace the entire units on both sides. All lights work great EXCEPT the same darn left rear parking light.

Any help out there?

swesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #2

Light switch.

I recently had to replace mine for the same reason.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #3

What do you mean by the light switch? The actual knob on the dash? Anyone know what fuse to look at? How did you change the knob out? Dealer?
swesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:03 AM   #4

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem; however, I will share my experience with my rear tail lights. I replaced the OEM lights with a set of smoked ones. The right rear tail light wouldn't work and what I found was that when I opened up the light and looked at the piece that houses all of the light bulbs, one of the light bulbs was not seated firmly. I re-seated it and it worked for a little while. When it happened again I noticed the bulb came unseated again and found the metal "strappy thingy" to have flexed out of its normal position whithin the black plastic piece. I re-seated the metal "strappy thingy" and haven't had any problems since.

Bottom line because I don't think I'm being very clear, check to make sure the light bulb is properly seated and check that your metal "strappy thingy" is not coming apart from the black plastic piece.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #5

Yes the actual rotary switch in the dash. Part# 99661353500
Bought one at the dealership and replaced it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swesterman
What do you mean by the light switch? The actual knob on the dash? How did you change the knob out? Dealer?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

Left rear runing light not working

I have the same problem. Trying to fix the switch itself (Part# 99661353500). After having a problem with my Litronics headlights. I removed and open apart. Some contacts weren't aligned up and weren't making contact. I reassembled. Now my Litronics work but I have the rear left running light off. Will keep trying. It's definitely the light switch.

Can somebody help me find the pinout nomenclature or electrical diagram of the switch? I will appreciate your help.

Last edited by dgtal; 04-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.
dgtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

Parking lights on the right side stopped working

I was replacing 2 bulbs on the right side, not even the parking lights they were the flasher and brake lights. when i put back the housing type thing back in its place i noticed one of the parking lights went on and of so i took it back out and moved the bulb in and out and then both parking bulbs went out. i heard a noise, sounded like a fuse blowing or a relay. not sure. from what i have read here it might be the actual light switch that burnt. seem weird that their is no fuse or relay before you burn the switch. any ideas or do i have to replace the switch.
vangelo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangelo74
I was replacing 2 bulbs on the right side, not even the parking lights they were the flasher and brake lights. when i put back the housing type thing back in its place i noticed one of the parking lights went on and of so i took it back out and moved the bulb in and out and then both parking bulbs went out. i heard a noise, sounded like a fuse blowing or a relay. not sure. from what i have read here it might be the actual light switch that burnt. seem weird that their is no fuse or relay before you burn the switch. any ideas or do i have to replace the switch.
Fixed problem, it was a fuse that burnt.
vangelo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #9

Why didn't anyone..

suggest using a simple 12v test light or a voltmeter to verify that there is in fact no voltage a the bulb connection?

This at least gives you a starting point before you start throwing parts at it until you accidentally solve the problem.