Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #1

Need advice on making boxster quicker.

Hello everyone, im new to forums but someone adviced me to get on this one and so here it goes. lol. I just recently bought a 2001 Boxster S 3.2 with Manual tranny. And I need you guy's advice on how to get more performance out of it. I bought a B&M short throw shifter and it works great. What can I do to get the most power out of that hidden beast of motor thats in the Boxster!!! I know its there... I can feel it! Feel free to let me know about some good turbo (custom) kit setups or superchargers setups that might be the perfect match to bring out the power the great, SOLID handling Boxster deserves! thanks guys.

blackbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
2001 RUF 3800S

Welcome,

Save 10gs and throw a TPC Turbo kit on it. 140whp! But start with a BMC drop in air filter. Quick, easy, cheap and noticable difference.... I did it all pretty much. Next is the turbo.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #3

the BMC drop in filter really makes a gain you can feel? is it a paper filter like stock or more of the cloth kind like a K&N?

is this the kind of filter that supposedly can hurt the MAF??? I just dropped $$ to buya new MAF and am in no rush to ruin it and have to buy anothe rone!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #4

You can spend thousands and only gain minimal HP the factory left as headroom...the only way you'll see appreciable gains are in increasing displacement. Any forced induction system will greatly reduce the life of already questionable internal components.

Visit our sponsor, www.flat6innovations.com for more information.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
You can spend thousands and only gain minimal HP the factory left as headroom...the only way you'll see appreciable gains are in increasing displacement. Any forced induction system will greatly reduce the life of already questionable internal components.

Visit our sponsor, www.flat6innovations.com for more information.
+1
A properly installed turbo kit is about $10K and if you push the motor hard you will need another one of those shortly when it grenades at around $15K. The factory 986 was simply not designed to work well with FI. With enough money anything can be done, but does it make sense on a fairly light weight, high compression motor?

Suggestion:
Learn to use all of your car first. A 3.2L Box S is a formidable track weapon in the hands of a skilled driver. The Boxster Spec racers are already turning lap times that rival 996 Turbos and GT3s at the track and they are running bone stock 2.5L pea shooters (stock intake, stock headers, stock internals). If after a year of DEs you still need more HP just drop in a 3.6L.

Last edited by Topless; 04-16-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #6

what these guys said
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #7

1. Better brakes
2. Better Suspension.
3. Driver training

Welcome to the club
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #8

Yep, the $20k plus question that has ghosted these boards for years. " HOW DO i MAKE MY BOXSTER FASTER".

With out doing major damage to your engine, There really is no miracle cure, except a 3.6-3.8 engine swap for $20k+. Any other gains you get will not be cost effective. I have searched high and low, read many articles and threads on the subject. There are many claims out there, but none have been substantiated with real proof. You can desnorkle your porsche and it will sound faster(cost=free). This car wasn't made as dragster, but it will eat 99% of all cars up on the twisties(curves). So anybody wants to race you, well make sure there are plenty of curves and you will crush them. Mustangs, Vettes, camaros.... will struggle to read you liscense plates around the twisties.

My friend has a 1985 supra twin turbo, which is by all means is one mean mutha!! He keeps wanting to race me, but I always reply, "that's not why I got the car". So as his only sees the road a couple times a year, I enjoy mine about any day its not raining!!

There is a reason Damn near all Boxster drivers are smiling when you pass them on the road!! The boxster is the ultimate all around driving experience!! So Just enjoy the ride!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 04-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Thumbs up that was helpful

So boost would hurt the motor even at low boost... because its such a high compression motor. Whats the compression on the 3.2L boxster anyway? maybe better off sticking with exhaust and intake right? so do you guys know what the best exhaust and intake setup might be for the boxster s? I found a full exhaust that is made by NHP. That is claiming to be the "best" sounding that doesnt drown you out in decibals in low RPM's and produces the "most" HP. But its a pretty penny, coming in at $2,379 shipped.
Would it be worth it? or is there a cheaper more effective method that produces the same results? Thanks guys.
blackbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #10

In addition to what's already mentioned.

Loose weight: Not just the car. Driver too.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox986
So boost would hurt the motor even at low boost... because its such a high compression motor. Whats the compression on the 3.2L boxster anyway? maybe better off sticking with exhaust and intake right? so do you guys know what the best exhaust and intake setup might be for the boxster s? I found a full exhaust that is made by NHP. That is claiming to be the "best" sounding that doesnt drown you out in decibals in low RPM's and produces the "most" HP. But its a pretty penny, coming in at $2,379 shipped.
Would it be worth it? or is there a cheaper more effective method that produces the same results? Thanks guys.
If you don't use your radio, it will for sure give you an nice sound to hear..

I would personally spend that money on Driver Education and Track Days..

Remember that you bought a Porsche, not a Civic, this car is great the way it is.. no need for changing everything
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951
In addition to what's already mentioned.

Loose weight: Not just the car. Driver too.
Yep. take out everything you do not need, like the radio, speakers, AC, cruise, power seats etc.
Then consider improving your driving skills with driving schools, driver education track days, and autocross.
Then if you still are burning to spend some money go see Jake at Flat 6 Innovations for some upgrades our rebuilt motor.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

I agree with all the above comments.
You have only just purchased the vehicle & you want to up the HP already.
Get some driver training, attend a track day or two. Above all, learn the car & its capabilities (and yours).
I too, thought the "BOX"was sedate, until you hit 4000RPM, then goodbye to most cars. And if the road is twisty, see them at the other end.
Forced induction is going to cost you $$$ and then the engine will have a limited life span.
Good luck with your decision.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
is this the kind of filter that supposedly can hurt the MAF??? I just dropped $$ to buya new MAF and am in no rush to ruin it and have to buy anothe rone!

Yes, chances are it will kill your MAF, so you get 0.1 hp increase but pay $250 for a new MAF, sounds like a good deal - right ;-)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #15

Here is my "Top 10" of what makes a Boxster faster

1. Driver training (lots of A/X and DE)
2. Suspension upgrades:
a) Tarrett front and rear sway bars
b) PSS9 coilovers
3. Stickier tires
4. 100 or 200 cell cats
5. Pedro's "Techno Torque" or the IPD plenum
6. "cold air" high flow intake
7. "test pipes" to replace the secondary cats (warning: "barely legal")
8. less restrictive exhaust
9. lose weight
10. Softronic chip tuning (ECU flash)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #16

"I enjoy mine about any day its not raining!! "

Why only when it's not raining! I had great fun this week in a light rain. Turn off the PSM, and do some power-slides like you have a big V8!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #17

Welcome to the forum!

Do a search on intake manifold and headers to learn all you need to know about "gaining" HP. You'll find it's expensive ($3-4K) and these mods are only worth about 20-30 hp combined. Not a good investment. Plus pay attention to all the references to CELs popping after doing these mods. A lot of headache for very minimal gain. Throatier mufflers fall into the same category. For the money you'd spend on these 3 mods plus what you've got invested in you box, you could probably find a 987S that would have just as much or more HP in stock form.

Believe the previous posters when they say the best bang for your buck is to swap engines with a 911. If that's not a possibility and you absolutely crave more speed, sell your box and get something else that fits your needs. Your bank account will be miles ahead and you'll be happier too.

Sorry for the reality check, but Porsches are not cheap. We don't want you to go bankrupt chasing a few HP gains.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #18
2001 RUF 3800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Yes, chances are it will kill your MAF, so you get 0.1 hp increase but pay $250 for a new MAF, sounds like a good deal - right ;-)

Ive never heard anyone with a BMC airfilter having MAF issues because of the filter. The BMC comes pre-oiled at the perfect amount, you can barely tell its even oiled. As for the K&N it comes with a pound of oil which triggers the MAF. Also you can just hear more air being sucked in once i replaced it from the OEM.

Also since its a used car im sure you will need to do a minor tune up and why not change the OEM filter for an upgraded one. 80 bucks on ebay.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
"I enjoy mine about any day its not raining!! "

Why only when it's not raining! I had great fun this week in a light rain. Turn off the PSM, and do some power-slides like you have a big V8!

Cause I am too lazy to wash it(thats why I got silver and not black)

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #20

Make Boxster faster

It's not advisable in the continental US, but I live in Hawaii with no emission standards. A 20 year Porsche mechanical guru took the existing codes from the car computer and sent them to Germany. The manufacturer then returned the factory codes with my VIN # and with original manufacturer codes. The new codes were re programmed into the cars computer for $395 and the car is no longer detuned with American emission standards. I now have a 1999 2.5 Boxster that whips my neighbors 2002 3.2S. Gas mileage has increased from 18-24mpg in the city and up to over 30mpg on what little freeways we have here. Horsepower has increased 50-70hps. It runs rich and wants to jump to a higher gear at 4000rpm. It took about 20 starts to set all the codes, however I noticed a huge performance change immediately. I was skeptical, however found 20 Cayman and 911 owners in Hawaii that had this procedure done. All you have to do is befriend your Porsche mechanic each year upon emission check, pay a small fee of $150 and you will love the results.

Kale is offline   Reply With Quote