986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pain in the Rump (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24446)

cvhs18472 04-15-2010 02:13 AM

Pain in the Rump

The weather around here , this week, was not so nice so I decided to change my water pump. There were a ton of posts about the water pump not lasting much more than 60K and I have about 64K on the car. I broke off one stud, lost 15oz of flesh from my hands and succeeded to extract a perfectly good water pump. There was nothing missing from the vanes, no sounds, no nothing. Doing preventative maintenance is such a crap shoot. Ed

dallison 04-15-2010 08:46 AM

you got that right.

jcb986 04-15-2010 09:30 AM

Why fix something that's not broken in the first place. My opinion of maintenance is, oil changes, air & cabin filter changes, pads when you need them, spark plugs at 60K along with the serpentine belt. Then if something breaks or fails, fix it. Most of this cars never have major problems...they really are well built. :cheers:

cvhs18472 04-15-2010 10:59 AM

Anyone want a good water pump for $5 plus shipping? Ed

husker boxster 04-15-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986
Why fix something that's not broken in the first place.

How many times has your car broken / become disabled in your driveway? 99% of the time it happens at the most inopportune time and place.

At least the poster has the piece of mind knowing his wp isn't blowing out anytime soon (unless the replacement part is defective).

blue2000s 04-15-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb986
Why fix something that's not broken in the first place. My opinion of maintenance is, oil changes, air & cabin filter changes, pads when you need them, spark plugs at 60K along with the serpentine belt. Then if something breaks or fails, fix it. Most of this cars never have major problems...they really are well built. :cheers:

Because when a water pump fails, it can leave little parts of itself throughout the cooling system. Making it impossible to make sure there won't be a block in the coolant system somewhere down the road.

mikefocke 04-15-2010 04:00 PM

Where do you stert and stop

when it comes to maintenance?

I've over-maintained a lot of cars in my time, never got much out of it as the seller.

Start with the water pump and you go to the AOS, the IMS bearing, ignition switch, CV boots, ....

blue2000s 04-16-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke
when it comes to maintenance?

I've over-maintained a lot of cars in my time, never got much out of it as the seller.

Start with the water pump and you go to the AOS, the IMS bearing, ignition switch, CV boots, ....

I try to do preventative on parts that, if broken, will lead to more costly damage. The IMS and water pump are good examples. Things like the brake pads, CV joints, ignition switch, motor mount ect will wear out, but their failure won't ruin anything else, so I let those parts go before I'll bother to replace them. If you're paying attention to the signs of a broken AOS, that can also be replaced after it's broken but before it fouls the O2 sensors or leaves you stranded somewhere, so I'd wait on it as well.