Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Clicking noise coming from left and right sides of the dashboard?

Car: 01 S

While driving for the first 20 minutes or so I hear clicks coming from the far left and far right sides of the dash towards the glass. Almost at the point where they meet.

I cannot pinpoint the location and I have NO idea what is causing it.

It happens every few minutes or so randomly from each side. It's not the speakers, and it's not the glass.

What the heck is happening?

Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

Garage
I get those as well, makes me wonder if the windshield frame is flexing. It happens in turns.

I suspect the covers under the hood beside the battery cover may be loose or not seated properly. They are on top of the front shock mounts and there may be some movement there.

I have to do more testing to be sure, If there is a known issue associated with this sound I would be interested to find out what is causing it.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

if it sounds like a mechanical clicking, (i describe it as ball berings in a plastic cup) then it is the striped servo arm trying to close the AC duct. Mine does it. You have to pull the dash to get to it.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Garage
I have the AC system "off" and it still makes the sound on mine, would this still fit as a symptom of what you are describing?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

I'll have to check if it happens whether the AC is on or off, but I think it happens either way. 85% sure of that.

What you described as far as noise is pretty close.

I'd really like to figure this out.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #6

mine does it with the AC off as well.
The motor is trying to close the outside vent flap and cant get closure and produces a faint clicking noise.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
if it sounds like a mechanical clicking, (i describe it as ball berings in a plastic cup) then it is the striped servo arm trying to close the AC duct. Mine does it. You have to pull the dash to get to it.
I think this is the same sound I hear in my '03S. Would you happen to have any more info on location of the servo arm? maybe any diagrams that pinpoint it or any DIYs for it?

Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote