Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
Porscheectomy

Agreed with Randall. Vertex auto has rebuilts and just ball joints (for the already rebuilt arms) that will save a little $.

http://www.****************************************.com/SubCategory/Steering%20and%20Suspension/Control%20Arms%20and%20Related%20Parts.aspx

Last edited by blue2000s; 09-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
Doc

A solution, hopefully -

I put the car on ramps and investigated more closely where the sound comes from. It seemed to come from near the top of the struts. There is a rubber "bearing" there. I sprayed that bearing with teflon silicone lubricant from above and below. The sound is gone for now

Time will tell how well this fix worked...
Fluellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #23

To add my tuppence/knowledge, if it helps at all;

When the fluid is low due to age/leaks/whatever reason, not only does the steering get affected slightly, but the pump itself gets damaged - this is because the power steering fluid is actually lubricating the pump as well as working the steering.

When fluid runs low, the pump *will* get damaged to some extent - so if you know you have low liquid, STOP driving immediately, and fix/top-up. I know a guy who thought he would just have a difficult to steer car whilst he got home, and drove 5 miles or so and completely knackered the pump.

One way to check for power steering pump damage is to start the car, and turn the wheel to full lock and hold it there. If you get the groan, it's damaged. *However*, providing you fix the leak/top-up, you can keep a partially damaged pump going for years/ever. As long as you can live with the sound!

If I had an old Ford with the noise, I'd just ignore it, but not sure I would be able to with a porker
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Where is the power steering reservoir on our cars? And what are you filling it with? I have this same issue on my 02. Lower speeds in a turn like pulling into a parking spot I'll hear a low groan from what seems to be my front left wheel. I just recently had my sway bar links replaced (which had gone bad) and thought that would have fixed the issue.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW View Post
Where is the power steering reservoir on our cars? And what are you filling it with? I have this same issue on my 02. Lower speeds in a turn like pulling into a parking spot I'll hear a low groan from what seems to be my front left wheel. I just recently had my sway bar links replaced (which had gone bad) and thought that would have fixed the issue.
Also needing an answer to above questions ...
Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #26

It's under the engine top cover, at the very top/front of the engine on my 987 . Pentosin fluid, though there may be a suitable replacement. I must have a small leak I can't find, mine was slightly low, causing a noise while turning and accelerating.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #27

Garage
Pentosin is required just like RollsRoyces. There is a small & excessively short vent hose attached at the filler neck of the P/S fluid reservoir. The pump gets hot enough to lose fluid out this vent & deposit on top of the engine for eternity. This requires checking the fluid level often & installing a longer vent hose if you want to avoid pump problems & a oily, sticky mess ontop of your engine. While you are there suck out as much old Pentosin as you can & replace with new.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #28

I have a funky sound sometimes in the left wheel area that eventually disappears as the car warms. I was told it is somehow related to the driver's air bag.
1080Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #29

Thanks Pro, I'll have to look into a longer vent hose. I suspected something like that, because it is oily around the cap.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #30

Power steering noise

I have the same grinding/groaning noise coming from the front of my car when I turn the wheel. How can I tell if its the pump or the rack? If its a bad pump, why is the noise coming from the front of the car?

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote