Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #1

Adding 19" wheels & lowering

Hi,

Ok well i have my boxster s (finally)! I've ordered my updated lights (allround) & I want to get to work adding wheels. I'm proberbly going to go for some victor Le mans rims (not decided on alloy or black yet though.

My question is if I add 19" wheels will i have to lower the suspension to avoid the car (looking like a tractor) or will i get away without doing this ? & if I really need to lower I'm interested to hear how much would you suggest 20-30 mm & which springs should i use Spax Eibach G-Max etc?

Many thanks

Callum

Callum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #2

Oh & if anyone knows how to remove the thin chrome strip around the windscreen that would be a great help too !

Cheers !
Old 03-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #3

Your car (ROW) appears to have a better ride hide than US stock (they look like tractors!), so I would doubt that to be an issue. Furthermore, with the proper aspect ratio, overall diameter will not really change.

The bigger question is, why 19"s? Most opinion is that 18"s look better proportioned to a 986 (mine included) and the 19"s look oversize; better proportioned to a 987.

That said, everyone has their own opinion and this is just my comment.

The silver trim is part of the windscreen trim molding and removing it would leave a groove and possibly weaken the unit as a whole from what I can see on the PET.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 03-28-2010 at 06:10 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #4

Callum, I agree with jmatta about the wheel size, though for different reasons. There is, certainly where I live, a significant difference in price between 18" and 19" tyres. That extra cash that is spent on the larger diameter often results in economising in terms of tyre quality. The whole purpose of going to the bigger size is performance, which is lost in using a budget tyre rather than one of quality. Also, black wheels on black car = bad taste. Go with the alloy look.

In terms of lowering, there is actually a UK based online store that sells the original M030 suspension package that consists of struts, springs and sway bars. It will only drop the ride height by about 10mm but it is stiffer than stock, and designed by Porsche so it works. I believe the price was reasonable too, about 500 quid. It is also worth replacing all the bushings as well while you are there. Even though this seems to be a modest change to the suspension, it will feel VERY different. Don't forget, your car is more than likely running about with worn and tired dampers and bushes right now, and you are replacing them all with new parts and getting a slight lowering as well.

Good luck with whatever you do, and enjoy your Boxster!
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #5

Awesome info thanks !

I guess it is a matter of taste whan it comes to colour & wheels etc but the coloured wheel thing really seems to be taking off right now over here. i am starting to think that the alloy look is the way forward on a black car.

When it comes to 19's i agree that many people sacrifice quality for looks I just think that 19's seem to suit the 986 (again personal choice) & that the wheels themselves look well er more (fully fledged) if that makes sence some wheels just dont seem to work in any smaller size.

Thanks anyway, the sun's out & I've just cleaned her so im off for a spin !
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

Funny, was viewing that car before a few weeks ago. Hope you didn't pay too much Interestingly , i felt it needed a suspension refresh, or perhaps the 18inch wheels highlighted it more than standard 17s.
chris7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum1971
Awesome info thanks !

I guess it is a matter of taste whan it comes to colour & wheels etc but the coloured wheel thing really seems to be taking off right now over here. i am starting to think that the alloy look is the way forward on a black car.

When it comes to 19's i agree that many people sacrifice quality for looks I just think that 19's seem to suit the 986 (again personal choice) & that the wheels themselves look well er more (fully fledged) if that makes sence some wheels just dont seem to work in any smaller size.

Thanks anyway, the sun's out & I've just cleaned her so im off for a spin !
My car came standard with 17" and I didnt think that going aftermarket and up 1" was worth it to me. So I too went 19". No problems so far

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote