Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #1

rear tire balance

I need rear tires and have a good local tire shop that I use for my other cars. I was thinking about going there instead of the Porsche dealer for new tires. Is there anything special about mounting or balancing the rear tires on a Boxster S, 2007?

barrygou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #2

Basically there is no difference in removing and mounting a new set of tires. As long as he knows how to work with aluminum alloy wheels. I got mine at Discount Tires, all new Faulken 912's. They are great for a daily driver. Smooth and quite ride, with very good handling. They are not track tires. $625 for the tires, mounting and balance. Also, the give lifetime balance and rotation FREE.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #3

As with many things on a Porsche

there is nothing special about the wheels or tires. I just got a set of PS2s mounted at my local tire dealer's.

It is all in the care they give in removing the wheels and tires and remounting.

I asked the following questions:

What balancing machine was going to be used?

Can you install inside wheel weights?

Cost?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #4

I have my Box and 911 tires mounted at my local Firestone dealer. He can order any brand of tire and usually can match Tire Rack's best prices (even on R track compound). His guys mount everything from the tires on the soccer mom's mini-van, to the local racers.

Stop in to the local guys around you; you might be surprised at who's running the show.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote