Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

oil check guage just blinks

My oil check guage, you know the one that shows how much oil you got, just blinks and never completes it check. I am hoping it is a simple fix

Long story short: 2001 "s" tiptronic
Replaced my battery and then alternator. Had a blown fuse from the ordeal and the radio fuse blew also. Now when I turn the key, the oil check guage just blinks. No warning lights, everything else works fine. I have checked every colored fuse. I have even disconected the battery over night and tried to reset everything. No dice. It's not the ignition switch as that was replaced last year.

Any Ideas Porsche fans?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-24-2010 at 07:27 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
What year is your car?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #3

Sorry, 2001 "s" tiptronic 65kmiles
I have been wondering if there is another set of fuses or fuse that controls that function. I did have an arc when I changed my battery, hence my new alternator. New battery was charged before installing and tested to hold a charge. Alt was tested also. My ignition switch was updated last year also.

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #4

Bumb back up. Anybody have any idea?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If you have access to a PST-2, check the instrument cluster for errors.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

I have read that when you have a fault and you fix it, the ECU has to make so many cycles before it resets it's counter. It was either 10 or maybe 50 starts. Since you had no issue before your battery took a hike then we can rule out an oil pressure problem. I have a 2000S and I will turn on my key and I watch the oil gauge cycle...and it really takes about 30 seconds before it stops. Now the only thing I think it could be, you fried the sending unit, maybe. Let us know watch you find. Little things like drives me to drink another beer.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

thanks for the input. By cycle do you mean turn the car on and off? It doesn't show any bars. It just blinks empty bars, off and on. Even when I start the car it comes back and blinks for a minute or two. I do plan on doing my anual oil change as soon as I read up on wheather or not to use the seafoam stuff(which is a discussion for another time and thread ).

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

It's an electrical fault.

The Factory repair manual states that:"If there is a fault in the oil level detection system (ie. broken wire, short to ground) the entire display flashes"

So that's one place to start.

Another would be to refuel the car, ignition OFF, car warm. Add at least 12 gal. and do so within 15 min. That may kickstart it.

Also, just because you replaced the ignition switch last year, you cannot automatically rule it out. These are notorious for failure... as you already know.

BTW, the cycle mentioned to reset has nothing to do with the number of starts or turns of the ignition. It has to do with completing a drive cycle. This drive cycle has very specific conditions which need be met within a given time and distance parameter. Use the search function to learn more as I'm sure it's been covered before.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-25-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #9

Sounds conterintuitive adding fuel will affect the oil guage, but I will definately try that first, as I need gas eventually anyways I will keep you all posted when I figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
It's an electrical fault.

Another would be to refuel the car, ignition OFF, car warm. Add at least 12 gal. and do so within 15 min. That may kickstart it.

Cheers!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #10

when you refill the car does an actual check, which is why it takes a lot longer. mine usually says around 8 minutes to check the oil after i fill-up instead of the usual 4-8 seconds.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
thanks for the input. By cycle do you mean turn the car on and off? It doesn't show any bars. It just blinks empty bars, off and on. Even when I start the car it comes back and blinks for a minute or two. I do plan on doing my anual oil change as soon as I read up on wheather or not to use the seafoam stuff(which is a discussion for another time and thread ).
What was the ordeal that took out the alternator and the battery....I have a link to Pelican Parts for the Oil Level Sender, click on Tech Info tab and see some the guys with oil level problems.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=996-606-150-00-M100&catalog_description=Oil%20Level%20Sender%2C%20Boxs ter%2FBoxster%20S%20%281997-2004%29%2C%20Each

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #12

The battery was shot and I knew it, but when installing the new one, I accidentally arced it and blew a few things including the Alt, 1 fuse and the radio fuse. Yep, live and learn. Thanks for the link Actually I really don't care about the oil thingy as I always manually check my oil. I am just concerned that something else might have bit the dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
What was the ordeal that took out the alternator and the battery....I have a link to Pelican Parts for the Oil Level Sender, click on Tech Info tab and see some the guys with oil level problems.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=996-606-150-00-M100&catalog_description=Oil%20Level%20Sender%2C%20Boxs ter%2FBoxster%20S%20%281997-2004%29%2C%20Each

Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #13

Did you ever get this sorted?

Hi, I have same issue with 2002 Boxster S, level indicator flashes for a few moments with no level shown. Oil level looks fine in dipstick. Did you ever resolve?
monaghana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

check your gas cap - if you leave it off or loose the oil gauge will flash at you.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
Ray

Just had the RMS, IMS, and clutch replaced (like a good boy). My oil level indicator took 9 minutes and 30 seconds to detect the level. After that its only the 4-5 seconds. It registers half full even though I have 9 liters of Motul. Driving it 500 miles for xmas, I'll report back. (Oh just as a kicker, I lost my gas cap the day I got the car back ;-)
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
check your gas cap - if you leave it off or loose the oil gauge will flash at you.
Gas cap is on tight oil level indicator still flashing. It goes off after a few minutes, but I don't see a counter or a level indicated.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #17

Hi, just had major service, not much required, couple of rubber cv gaitors and a seal but otherwise car reported as sound. Asked mechanic to replace oil level sensor. About ten hours labour including the work to replace gaitors but alas the boxster is still showing a flashing display. Diagnostics still report oil sensor fault. porsche dealership consulted. They have 03 boxster s showing same fault after sensor replaced. They say they are going to replace digital display on that car. Cost about $1500 for part. My mechanic suggested taking to digital display tech. Anyone had any experience of this. Glad I've still got a dipstick on my car. Alan

Last edited by monaghana; 12-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #18

Just to update my contribution to this post,I replaced cluster assy and resolved. Bought one for 125 pounds from breaker. Old one out and replacement in must have taken under an hour. Mileage on replacement was within 1k miles of mine.